four

John POV
John's Apartment

I clench my fists and let my anger out on my punching bag.

I'd been beaten up seven times today.

Gavin twice, Illena, Hower, Krolik, Zeke, and the gang of mid-tiers who think they're so strong.

I punch the bag harder, my skin breaking.

Cecile. I thought we were made for each other. She was disgusted by me after the news of my 'cripple' self.

I punch the bag harder, pain spikes in my fists.

Elaine. That two-faced b*tch. She was nice when there was a possibility of me being a high tier. Then when I said I had no ability, she tries to shove me to the ground.

I punch even harder. The red covering starts to tear.

Everybody. Why does nobody care? Why does nobody want to be around me?

I punch the bag with all my anger.

It detaches from its stand and flies through the front window, shattering it into a million pieces.

"Crap." I murmur.

I run outside to see if anybody was hurt.

To my surprise, I see three familiar faces.

"Cecile." I frown, but start to laugh as I realize my three hundred pound punching bag smashed into her side. "Sabrina?! Nolan?!" I hug my siblings.

"Why're you here?" I ask.

"We're moving in. So you we can keep you from pulling a John." Sabrina mocks me, laughing her heart out.

"Hey." I growl in my attack voice.

"Ah!" She becomes serious once again.

"Teal hair, this is Sabrina, a god tier. Level 6.5. Her ability is Spell Access, and it allows her to use black magic. This is Nolan, another god tier. Level 6.9. His ability is imagine. He can create anything he imagines." Cecile's jaw drops open.

"And this is John, a god tier. Level 7.0, or at least he was 7.0 two years ago. We don't really know what his ability is, but he can beat anybody! Even people who're stronger than him." Sabrina flexes my ability to Cecile.

"SABRINA! I WAS PLAYING CRIPPLE!" I yell.

"oh crap." She facepalms herself.

"Don't worry, I got this." I activate Seraphina's ability and send Cecile's memory back two minutes, so she won't remember this conversation. "C'mon in!"

We leave Cecile outside, and go inside.

Shattered glass is sprinkled on my hardwood floors, accompanied by droplets of my blood.

"Damn son, that's a lot of blood on the floor. Who'd you kill now?" Nolan laughs.

I show him my knuckles. Scarlet liquid drenches them, but then I notice the deep black slashes on my hand.

"Where'd those come from?" I examine them closely.

"What the heck? John, I saw a torn up picture of mom with those marks on her neck." Sabrina gasps.

My eyes widen.

"Huh?"

"Hey, while your process that, Sabrina and I can just unpack." Nolan opens his suitcase and finds two spare rooms to set up in.

Mom had the scars?

But what are they?

Why do I have them, but Nolan and Sabrina don't?

I lay down in my bed and try to sleep.

It's no use.

•••time skip to the next morning•••

Nolan wakes me up with a shake.

"Hey John, I brought you something!" He holds up a black choker.

"Emo much?" I groggily joke. My brother frowns. "Thanks, Nol."

I put the choker on, then get out of bed.

"j-JOHN PUT A SHIRT ON!!" Nolan looks away from me, blushing.

"Ew, man. I'm your brother, and this is my house." I mock him.

I stare at myself in the bathroom mirror, and see my arm. Three more black cuts have appeared on my wrist.

"Weird..." I murmur.

After taking a shower and getting ready, I go downstairs to get breakfast.

"Guys, I made a toast platter. Take whatever you want." Sabrina calls out from the powder room.

"Thanks!" I yell, exiting the house as I munch on a crispy piece of toast. "Bye!"

I wonder what'll happen today. I'll probably get crap from everybody again. I really do need a friend. Maybe that Seraphina girl?

Ugh, nevermind. With my flirtatious and dangerous personality, she'll always hate me.

Maybe I can tone it down a bit?

By the time I'm done thinking, I'm already at the school.

I walk to class and plop down near the back.

English.

...yay.

"Hello, class. Today we'll be getting into groups for quick literature projects. But, before you ask, I've already assigned the partners. Group one, Cecile and Terrance. Group two, Remi and Isen. Group three, John and Seraphina..." The teacher instructs.

I walk to Seraphina's desk.

"Hey. So I guess we're partners." I say.

"Yeah, whatever. I'll do the whole project and you can just read off of your note cards I make for you, okay?" She declares.

"What?! I want to work too!"

She looks at me, surprised.

"Too bad, cripple."

Ugh. This is going to be a long week.

Date of Publication: 07/23/19
Word Count: 829