epilogue

Detective Street knocked on the door with a series of taps. Larenz opened it holding a blunt as usual.

Larenz automatically noticed the manila folder that Street had in his hand.

“Taking  your homework with you?” Larenz asked with his platinum grin.

Street hit him across the chest with the folder. “Where is the bitch at?”

Larenz gestured with his head towards the room in the back.

“We got problems,” Street said to Larenz.

“Don’t we always?” Larenz asked taking a puff of his blunt.

Street ignored that comment and walked in. The living room of the apartment had about six guys in it all spread out loading up automatic weapons.

They all stopped to acknowledge the cop in the room then went back to their business.

Street pointed at Larenz with the folder. “I guess you got something to tell me later.”

“New shipment,” Larenz smiled.

“Yeah, right,” Street said and walked past the small armory that was being held in the living room.

Larenz opened the door to found Kaeron sitting up on a bed. His arm had been handcuffed to the bedpost. Kaeron had lost weight and looked sleep deprived. He looked up as Street entered then lowered his head again.

“He’s been talking?” Street asked his brother.

“Mostly all he knows about is the club and that little info about the girl,” Larenz answered.

Street looked Kaeron over. Kaeron didn’t look like the smug person he had once met before. Kaeron looked beaten, like he was just waiting for death now. Street knew the look. He had seen it on many faces. Defeat was the easiest body language to see besides anger.

Street tossed the folder on the bed and slapped his hands together. “Wake up! We got shit to discuss.”

Street looked back at Larenz. “Why he looks like he’s drugged up?”

“Beats me,” Larenz said taking another puff. “The nigga ‘s just off.”

Street looked back at Kaeron. “Off, huh?”

Street snapped his fingers at Kaeron. Kaeron looked at Street again then lowered his head.

Street snatched Kaeron’s free arm and rolled up the sleeves on the dingy shirt he was wearing. Street tossed Kaeron’s hand back when he found what he was looking for.

“Why?” Street asked back at Larenz.

“Incentive,” Larenz smiled. “Worked too. Found out all types of shit that’s been going on at that club and a couple of other businesses too. You know that keen motherfucker has an office. Like a real office and shit.”

Street just looked at Larenz.

“Hey, I’m getting what I need out of him,” Larenz said. "He started freezing up so I had to get creative. It’s better than just beating him to death. That was getting us nowhere. He starts getting panicky scared of getting hit again, starts making up shit to please us. This way we’re good. It’s like he’s practically volunteering shit. Shit we didn’t ask for.”

Street turned back to Kaeron. “Can you hear me?”

Street snapped his fingers again.

“He’s not a zombie,” Larenz said.