Chapter 18: The Trial

Mulai dari awal

"While Mr. Malfoy may not have accomplished the mission he so proudly set out to do, he did almost kill two innocent students in the process, and ultimately orchestrated the events that led to Dumbledore's death. Mr. Malfoy went so far as to endanger the lives of every student at Hogwarts by letting a band of Death Eaters—and a vicious werewolf—into the school the night Dumbledore died."

McLaggen glanced at Draco. "Finally, Draco Malfoy lived out his role as a Death Eater so well that he even took part in torturing members of his own cause." He returned his somber gaze to the Wizengamot. "That, my friends, is the type of monster we are dealing with here. One who is so depraved that he would even turn on his own ally at a moment's whim."

McLaggen took a deep breath. "So I ask of you, members of the Wizengamot, would you have a dangerous criminal like this released back into our society? Would you put to risk everything so many of us sacrificed to end the reign of Voldemort? As you well know, many Death Eaters are still on the run, just waiting for the opportunity to band together again and release terror upon us all, especially Muggle-born wizards and witches like dear Miss Granger here." Cormac paused a moment to shoot Hermione a winning smile before continuing.

"Draco Malfoy, who has followed in his father's footsteps since the day he was born, would only be too eager to take his place and lead the Death Eaters. As we progress through this case, I will prove to you exactly why you should put Mr. Malfoy in Azkaban where he belongs for the remainder of his life. Thank you."

McLaggen turned and walked back to his seat. Hermione resisted the urge to roll her eyes as he settled back in his chair with exaggerated casualness.

"Now, the Defense Inquisitor, please." Shacklebolt invited Hermione to make her statement. She smoother her skirt and patted her sleek hair, which was pulled up in a bun. She stood and headed toward the center of the room with her head held high.

Hermione cleared her throat and addressed the Wizengamot. "What the prosecution said is true, Draco Malfoy was the youngest wizard ever to take the Dark Mark and become an official member of the Death Eaters. However, the reason Mr. Malfoy chose to do this is much different than what the prosecution would have you believe.

"Upon his father's first imprisonment in Azkaban, Draco Malfoy was commanded by Voldemort to join his ranks in Lucius Malfoy's place and serve him loyally. The first task he required of him was, indeed, to kill Albus Dumbledore. The consequences for refusing or failing were simple: be killed and have his family be killed as well."

As she spoke, Hermione was careful to make eye contact with each member of the Wizengamot. "At only sixteen years old, Draco Malfoy was forced to make a choice so horrifying, most of us would pray to never be put in that position.

"I will not lie to you, most of the charges brought against the defendant are, in essence, factual. But what I have learned, and what I will share with you throughout this trial, is the reason Mr. Malfoy committed these crimes was not out of evil, but rather an instinct to preserve the lives of those he loved, and to survive himself."

She spread her hands. "Yes, Mr. Malfoy was indoctrinated with the cause of the Death Eaters at a young age. And yes, he was passionate about it at one time. But when the time came for him to act upon everything he'd been taught to believe, his heart was not in it. At that point, he did not want to serve Voldemort anymore, and he didn't want to murder or hurt anyone. He simply wanted to keep his family safe during a time of war.

"All I ask is that the Wizengamot keeps an open mind and looks at the facts throughout this case. Facts that will speak for themselves and show that Mr. Malfoy is not a danger to society, but rather, a potential asset. Thank you."