Chapter 16: Questions

The two guards threw Draco into his cell, where he landed on the cold stone floor, then slammed the door shut, locking it behind them.

He got up and sat on his cot, placing his head in his hands.

What did I just do?

He could feel bruises forming from where the guards had hit him, but the pain was dull compared to the sensation Hermione's kiss had left on his lips.

He rubbed his face with his hands, then exhaled loudly, throwing himself back on his bed.

Their kiss had been amazing. Unfortunately, it had also probably just cost him his one chance of getting out of Azkaban. He could only assume Hermione was making arrangements to remove herself from his case at that very moment. She was probably fuming.

Although . . . she had kissed him back. There was no doubt about that.

What had started as an emotional impulse had quickly escalated to something real. At least, it felt real to him.

He sighed. What was he thinking, kissing her like that? Not only was it completely inappropriate because of their professional relationship, it was also impossible.

Their history was painful, their present was strained, and their future was nonexistent.

Reliving the memory of her torture had been agony. He felt more horrified over the abuse she'd endured that night than ever before. Then, he had hated watching it because he knew she was a decent, innocent girl. Now, he hated it so much more because he felt something for her. He had gotten to know her and genuinely cared about her.

Looking back, he didn't know exactly why he had tried to help her. It had been a reckless move on his part. If Bellatrix or his father had found out, he probably would have been tortured or killed himself.

His actions didn't make him a hero. That much he knew. But now, he couldn't help but wish he'd stopped the whole thing in the beginning. Saved her all that pain. Even if it meant he would have received it instead.

The thought confused him. He'd spent most of his life caring only about himself and his family. What was it about that girl that made him want to be better? The question danced in his mind until he could make no sense of it.

One thing was certain. His already fragile relationship with Hermione Granger had just gotten much more complicated.

***

When Hermione returned to her office that afternoon, she felt agitated and extremely confused.

Of all the problems she'd imagined upon becoming Draco Malfoy's Inquisitor, kissing him certainly hadn't been one of them.

She slammed her files down on her desk and sank into her chair with an irritated groan.

She was not falling for Draco Malfoy . . . was she?

The thought was almost laughable. After all, he was a terrible person. She shook her head. Maybe he had been. But now, she didn't think so.

Regardless of that, they now had a professional relationship which made what happened between them completely inappropriate.

What is wrong with me?

She always maintained a safe, professional distance from her clients. Despite what others thought, she'd never been in danger of caring too much before. But now, she knew she was.

She remembered how she had felt just moments before Draco kissed her. Horrified at reliving her worst memory, but somehow, his presence made her brave enough to face it. And then, everything she'd thought she knew about that evening changed.