17. Mare

After I had told him everything that he wanted to hear, we made our way outside. The moment that I felt the warmth of the sun's rays leech onto my skin, I hated it. I gave me a warm and bubbly feeling, I had long since learned to ignore. All I wanted to do was slink back into the never-ending darkness and simply break down in a fit of tears. I wanted to swim in the thousands of questions flooding into my consciousness. They slowly were knotting and gnawing at my insides. We get many glances from the people passing by as we make our way to the communications room. My tear-stained and red cheeks, plus Cal's scorched uniform didn't help us any. We hear the jabbing words before we see the people gathered in the main room. "He wouldn't dare!" is all I hear Farley bark before Cal and I ake our stunning entrance.

Cal's black hair is sprawled out in a messy tangle of sweat. His charred uniform made him look nothing like the king he is, instead the warring soldier he was born to be. My hair was a tangled mess, my gray hairs seemed to glow in the fluorescent lights of the base. The training outfit I was wearing hadn't fared much better. It wasn't as tattered as Cal's uniform, but it still singed from the heat and lightning that had been wielded.

The people in the room gawked at us, the room goes silent. You could hear Cal's labored berthing as we walk through the doors. Even the Colonel looked like he was holding his jaw from the floor. Of course, only Farley and Kilhorn seemed unfazed.

"It's ok guys... he's not going to burn the place down." I chuckle, trying to hide behind humor, as usual. This brings most people back to their sense, a few even smiles. Even Cal smiles at me, his eg something I didn't want to see. It was playing on his lips.

Can we love again?

I try to forget it. That was the least of my worries at the moment. However, it was a really long list. I force a smile and join my place by Kilhorn and Farley in the back. Raven jumps into my arms but stays silent. I'm not the only one who could feel the nagging pull of tension in the small room. Nobody talked for what was a few seconds, but to me, it could have been an eternity.

It gave me time to size up the room. Farley and Kilhorn seemed to give me the staredown, asking.

So? What happened?

I don't know if that was a question I was ready to address yet.

Cal seemed a bit disgruntled after out conversation, of course, that was completely normal. Knowing Cal, he could pull it together. He is a king after all. His eyes seem to lock eyes with me every waking moment before flitting away to something else. Honestly, it gave me the creeps. Seeing him again reminded me of his devilish brother. Now that he knew about the baby, his baby. I worried that he might get...possessive. Just like Maven. The idea, sending chills down my already emotional spine. Cal smiles. Drawing the attention of the crowd, he claps his hands sending spits of fire spiraling upward, sputtering out immediately.

All eyes turn to Cal. He smiles, basking in the attention. A steady hum of heartthrob took over me, seeing him excel in something he betrayed me for. He was meant to be king, but in my mind, he didn't have to be. "I've only come to address some political and influential problems and... misunderstandings." he pauses, drawing out the last word. It gives me a flash of curiosity.

What was going on?

I clearly mistake Cal for being done as he went on, "I know absolutely all of you are wondering about Raven." he seems to pause letting the people gasp, and make their own unethical assumptions, "..and I am aware of her lineage" he adds sparingly. He looks at me longingly, begging for me to accept him, to love him again. I realize what was going to say before his lips can make the shapes. But to ask me again? Seriously?

"I claim Raven, as my child and heir to the Nortan throne." Somewhat nodding to the child sitting in my arms. My eyes go big. Raven squirms in my arms, a reaction to the eyes in the room now settling on her.