5. Mare & Cal

"WHAT? No, Sara, you have to be wrong!" She gives me the faintest of smiles, "I'm sorry dear, but I've seen so many cases, it's almost impossible that I'm wrong."

The lightbulbs start to buzz and my hands start to tingle as the electricity gathers at my hands. I try to control it but it's no use. I lay back down and close my eyes, taking deep breaths. 

"Mare how are you-" That's when I lose it.

All the lightbulbs in the nearest rooms pop dropping the place into hazy darkness. I sit back and breathe, placing my hands over my face and allow the electricity to fade away.

"Mare are you ok?" His eyes watch me, fluttering to my hands then to the sputtering light bulbs. 

"Yes Cal, just please bring me Kilhorn," I say staying still at my outburst. 

"Mare-" 

"Please! Just get Kilhorn and maybe my mom" I sigh as I watch him leave, his shoulders hunched over himself. I'd never seen him walk that way.

"Mare are you-" I hear as Cameron comes rushing in. I sit up and move my feet to dangle over the side of the bed and face her.

"Yeah I'm okay," I say panting as I survey the damage. She looks at me like I'm a piece of cracked glass, able to shatter any moment, which in truth I was. She stepped closer and placed her hand on my thigh. I flinched naturally, not sure if she would use her silencing abilities. 

"It's okay, I'm not going to hurt you," She says calmly. It makes me feel like an upset child and that annoys me.

"You know I'm not a baby" We both smile.

"Yeah, I think that your maturity really she shows." she smiles looking around the room at the mess I made. I can't help but smile, Cameron is almost as talented with her words as I am.

"What's wrong?" She asks softly "The Mare I know doesn't explode all the lights in the room over nothing, so don't you dare say it!" She says adding humor to my answer as only Cameron can do.

That's when Kilhorn came dashing into the room. "Mare are you ok? I came as quick as I could!" He says as he looks at the sparking light bulbs. He lays his hand on my shoulder. Cameron gets up as if to leave. 

"I'll let you guys have a moment." She adds turning around to leave. 

"Wait! Cameron, please stay." She smiles and sits down, but I see the wonder in her eyes. " Look you have to keep this quiet, ok?" I say, watching as both Cameron and Kilhorn nod in agreement.

Okay, I breathe softly. "Guys, I'm pregnant"

~

Cal's Pov~ 

I found my conversation with Maven concerning. He brought up some good points. They ate at me and made me question pretty much everything that I'd never actually thought about. Maven always did have a way with words, which eventually got him a throne, didn't it?

Then there's Mare, she has been acting strange all day. First I hear she collapsed in the woods, must have been after I left. It made me feel guilty, was it about our argument? Then our argument in the infirmary. To be honest we have been mad at each other all day. She wanted Kilhorn, anyone but me. Why shouldn't I be mad at her?

Then the point of being king. I know that Mare would never take the throne but perhaps when she sees how I can change Norta she could rule with me, as my queen. How long I have wanted that? I don't know. Under my rule, I know that I could change Norta back to before there was unrest we could live in peace. Silver Prince and New Blooded Princess taking the throne, it could work.

I already know I had allies in the high houses. I could probably get Monfort? Maybe Piedmont? The Scarlet Guard could eventually see my progress and support it. All I needed to do was get there. The years of military strategy and preparation to take the throne would finally pay off.

That's when I remember our fights, they seem so long ago. Mare and I fighting as I pushed for the throne and she hated me for it. But I knew what had to be done. And I knew how to get there.

I walked, walked into the steel room. The room I thought I would never return to. His eyes just smile at me.

"I knew you would be back" He mutters, a glint in his eyes. To be honest, it scared me.

"Shut it, Maven, now how do I become king?"

~

I'm SO SO SORRY for the double Cliffhanger. But, you know the next chapter is already posted...

Hope you enjoyed it! I promise they get longer!