Chapter 1: trapped

Elizabeth's P.o.V:

 "Have a great break!" My reading teacher yelled over the bell as the entire population of Lincon High burst into the brightly lit hallway. I pulled my sweater tighter around my small figure as I headed to my locker. I was glad it was finally winter break, I needed a rest from all the drama floating around the school. Christmas was comming soon, and even though my family was poor, I loved it. Even if we diddn't have gifts, I just loved the family being together, and this year my dad was on leave from the army, where he was stationed in Iraq. I hadn't seen him in two years. My mom was aticipating his homecomming so much, she splurged and bought all of us, me and my 5 brothers and sisters, new outfits at Goodwill. When I looked down the hallway, I spotted Austin heading in the direction of the locker room. He was georgeous. I had had a crush on him forever, but I just shoved it in the back of my mind, because a guy like him would never go for a girl like me. I fumbled with the combination on my locker, as the hallways emptied. Soon I was the only one left. I ran down to the guidence counceler's office, I needed to turn in my free lunch form. I diddn't realize how long it would take me to walk to the guidence office, from 5 floors up. My school is huge, I won't lie, It seriously needs to have an elevator installed or something. By the time I reached the guidence office, the place seamed deserted. I could tell I'd long since missed my buss, and would probably have to risk the treck home through the not-so-nice neighborhoods in my town. Great. I turned the door handle, it opened, but no one was in sight. Not a sole around. All of the coumputers were doun, the phones were turned off, and Mrs. Sandor was long gone. I spotted something sticking out on her desk, a manillia folder with my name written on it. My permenent record. I walked over, but before I could open it, the lights went out. I screamed at the top of my lungs.

  Austin's P.o.V

The bell rang and the kids stormed out of 10th period English. I headed straight towards the boys locker room. Me and a bunch of the guys were hoarsing around in gym class last week, so we each had to clean the soccer cleats one day this week after school. Today was my day. I opened the door, and headed towards the shoes. I started scrubbing away as fast as I could. I couldn't wait to get out of here, but I knew I was in for it at home. My dad was not too happy when he found out that I was goofing off in gym class. He made me run twenty times around the yard once when I got a C in math. My dad is very pushy when it comes to school, and even worse, sports. I'm a soccer player, and my dad is the coach. He just doesn't understand how hard it is with school, plus soccer. Thats why I'm pretty quiet during school, I have to get good grades and focus, or else my dad will go off.

The thought of going home made me start to scrape the mud off the cleats more slowly. I looked around the small locker room. Our school was pretty big though. A few minutes later, I finished the last pair of cleats. I knew I wasn't going to make my bus, so I told my mom to pick me up whenever I got done. I took my phone out of my pocket, and tried turning it on. Nothing. I pressed the power button again, blank screen.

"S**t!" I cursed. I exited the room, and went upstairs, to use the guidance offices phone. I was halfway up the second staircase, when suddenly the lights shut off. But that wasn't it.

I heard a girl scream.

Elizabeth's P.o.V:

I frantically ran out of the guidence office. The first exit I saw, I tugged on the door nob. Nothing. Their was at least two feet of snow piled infront of it, and it was locked. I flew down 2 flights of stairs to the next exit. Same thing. I was trapped. I pulled out my cell phone. No service. Great, just effing great. I was locked in the school, alone, over Christmas break, and I was going to miss seeing my dad. I felt like breaking down. I ran to the nearest staircase and shouted, "Anyone here?" My reply, were footssteps comming up the large stairs.