INTRODUCTION

‣ What is Cryptography

↳ Cryptography or Cryptology came from the Greek word of ''kryptós'' which means 'hidden/secret' and ''graphein'' which is 'writing' or ''logia'' or should we call 'study'.

↳ It is defined as the art and science of making and breaking secret codes or messages. An original data called as plaintext is encoded into the ciphertext through the process of encryption and plaintext is restored from the cipher text through decryption. A cipherkey is used to configure a cryptosystem for encryption and decryption.

‣ Basic Terminology in Cryptography

Plaintext is a term used in cryptography that refers to a message before encryption or after decryption.

Ciphertext or cyphertext is the result of encryption performed on plaintext using an algorithm, called a cipher.

Cipher is an encryption system that is used to replace letters of a word. Ciphers are a means of distorting or hiding the true meaning of a message so that only the person who is aware of the system used for encryption is able to understand the message.

↳ A key is a string of characters used within an encryption algorithm for altering data so that it appears random.

Encrypt or Encryption refers to any process that's used to make sensitive data more secure and less likely to be intercepted by those unauthorized to view it.

Decrypt or Decryption is the process of taking encoded or encrypted text or other data and converting it back into text that you or the computer can read and understand.

Cryptanalysis is the art of study to decrypt the cyber text without knowing the key.

A code is a method of replacing a word or phrase with another word, phrase, or symbol, for an entirely different meaning.

Four basic principles of Cryptography.

Confidentiality: Aims to prevent unauthorized reading of message.

Integrity: Assuring the receiver that the received message has not been changed in any way from the
original.

Authentication: Identifying or verifying a person who he/she claims to be.

Non-repudiation: A mechanism to confirm that the sender really sent this message