Chapter 1: The Case Of Nicholas Davidson

A01

9:45 pm

Seattle. The only place where it rains almost every day of the year. What can I say, I love the rain. There was always something about the quaint melancholy that made me love this city. Some moments I hate this city. I hate moments like this...

"Clear the way!" I strolled behind Vincent O'Malley, my partner for the last 5 years, trying not to get drenched in the rain. Vincent stood tall, brunette and broad-shouldered. Vincent would fascinate some broad enough to get her into his sheets. He feels the need to share the details with me the next morning. The thing that makes Vincent a decent detective is he has a knack for getting under a suspects skin. He could get in your head and stay there for a while.

"Detective." A reporter waved her hand out toward me, motioning me toward the side. "Do you have anything to say about this case?" She was from Komo 4 news. "This is the seventh missing child case in 4 months. " She flung the microphone in my face expecting an answer.

"We are currently investigating. No further comment." I bowed under the crime scene tape and dashed inside the house.

"What do we know, Jetson?" I asked, combing my wet hair back. Jetson examined her notepad. "Nicholas Davidson, 17. 5'9, 175 pounds. He's been missing for 48 hours." She read on.

"Family last recounted seeing him 2 days ago around 8 pm." A woman was audibly sobbing in the kitchen a few feet away from us. She was a complete nervous mess. The tip of her nose reddened from all the tears.

"Nicholas!" Drops ran down her cheek like a stream. Her husband stood holding her, trying to quiet her down. O'Malley and I examined around the house, making our way to the victim's room. Posters of Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, and Led Zepplin were on the walls. The bed tousled as if someone had slept in it. Vincent pushed the closet open, revealing clothes.

"His clothes are all still here." Vincent shut the closet. "All his personal belongings are here. Toothbrush, hairbrush, shoes, clothes."

"We can rule out run away," Vincent reasoned. "Let's go try and talk to the family," He shook his head. We stepped into the kitchen, the mother was still weeping.

"Hi, Detective Kelso and Detective O'Malley from the Seattle PD cold case unit." I sat down opposite of her.

"Cold case unit?" She sniffled. "Do you think Nicky is...?" She cried. Her husband rubbed her back.

"No Mrs. Davidson." Vincent leaned on the wall without an ounce of sympathy in his voice.

"Can you tell us about your son?" I tried to redirect her mind onto something else other than death.

"Nick's a good kid but he's had a few slips in recent years." Mr. Davidson revealed. "Slips?" I inquired.

"His sophomore year he had surgery from a sports injury and was prescribed medicine." Mr. Davidson pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "After the drugs ran out he got hooked on heroin." Mrs. Davidson proceeded to cry.

"He's an addict?" Vincent inquired. "He wouldn't go far if he was a user," Vincent indicated.

"Find my boy. Please. Find.Him." Mr. Davidson's voice wavered but he got it back under control. He held on to his sobbing wife.

"We'll do our best, sir," I consoled. I gave the Davidsons my business card. "If you remember anything you want to tell us, give me a call." I advertised. O'Malley and I stepped out of the house. Reporters tried to signal us over and we swiftly rushed past them. We pulled out of the dim street and headed back to the station.

"What was that?" Vincent glanced at me, then turning his eyes back to the road. "What was what?" I retorted back.

"We'll do our best, sir." He smirked. "Never promise anything, Kelso." He pulled up to a red light.

"I was trying to give them comfort. You can't ever show anything that even resembles sympathy," I glanced at him sideways.

"What are you a freaking teddy bear?" Vincent grinned. "O'Malley when you have children, you'll understand it. Until then do me a favor and shut the fuck up." I shot him a glance.

"Ok, sorry man." He pulled into the station. I have 4 kids at home so when something like this develops, I try to put myself in the families shoes. Tell them what I would like to hear if something like this happened to me.

My first born's name is Christopher. Tall and blond like his dad. Chris is exceptional, top of his class when he graduated high school. My second-born, my little girl lily. She's 17 one year younger than Chris. She's a wild one. My third kid is a little guy, Logan. 10 years old and has so much enthusiasm for life itself. The youngest Is my daughter Tatiana. Only 3 years old and makes my heart melt.

"Why don't we call it a night." Vincent stepped out of the car. "Monica is waiting."

"Monica the secretary at the front desk?"I asked. He nodded and grinned. "Jesus, O'Malley." I shook my head. "Get some sleep." I patted his shoulder, walking past him.

"I won't be getting any sleep tonight." He shouted, working his hands down an imaginary women's waist. "Good luck with that tomorrow," I shouted back. I chuckled to myself as I unlocked my car, getting in and switching on the engine. I sang to a 90's rock song as I made my way home, pulling into the garage of my house. My wife was sitting on the couch when I walked in.

"Hi, baby." She kissed my cheek. "Hi love," I returned, tossing my jacket off. I sat down next to her, she put her legs across mine.

"How was your day?" She invited, laying her head on my chest. Vivian and I met in college at a party. Since that moment I knew she was the love of my life. She's knowledgeable, caring, and she's one hell of a mother.

"A kid in Lily's class went missing. Been missing for 48 hours," I loosened my tie, flinging it on the oak coffee table in front of me. "A 17-year-old with a heroin habit just disappeared." I kicked off my shoes in disappointment and frustration.

"Damn." Her eyes stared at me in astonishment. I pushed her legs off mine, standing up. "Where are you going?" She immediately asked.

"To check up on Lilly." I jogged upstairs, quietly stepping on hardwood floors. I slowly opened the door, creaking it lightly. Lilly was asleep, smiling and happily clutching on to her pillow.

"She's fine." Vivian walked past me to our bedroom. "I know." I softly closed Lilly's door, following my wife.

"Christopher got accepted to Seattle Pacific." She smiled proudly, getting into bed. "That's great honey." I stripped down and got ready for a much-needed shower. My phone was humming on the nightstand.

"Detective Kelso," I answered. Vivian observed me as I listened to the voice on the other end. I hung up the phone sighing. I need coffee, it's going be a long one is the only thing that was on my mind. I grabbed my clothes off the floor, buttoning up my shirt.

"Alexander. Where are you going now?" Vivian's amber eyes studied me with worry. "We got a body in Elliot Bay, "I returned.