“Well, that was easy,” said Ardria.

     “Every time our luck holds out, I grow more nervous,” said Tamwell. “Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth, though.”

     A Carrow soldier in an immaculate uniform appeared in the doorway. “If you'll come with me,” he said, “I'll show you to the guest rooms.”

     “Thank you, Private,” said the Princess.

☆☆☆

     The Princess never slept well in a strange bed, and being in a Carrow military base made it even worse, but Teena and the two Captains shared the room with her, and their presence reassured her enough for her to get a few hours sleep.

     When morning came, the Private returned and invited all of them but Teena to breakfast with the Colonel. “I'm guessing I'm sitting here alone again,” said the handmaid sulkily. “I should be serving you, Your Highness! Not some crass Carrow blockhead! Otherwise, why am I here?”

     “I would much prefer to be served by someone I trust,” replied Ardria, “and there’s no-one I trust more than you. Having that Carrow soldier constantly hovering behind me made my spine itch, and I know the Captain wasn’t happy about it either.”

     Tamwell looked up, then returned his attention to the view of the empty parade ground outside the window. Ardria went over to take Teena's hands in hers and give them a gentle squeeze. “Just knowing you're here makes me feel better, though. Your very presence gives me courage.”

     Teena beamed happily, and as soon as the others had left she got out her needle and thread and started darning holes in the Princess’s travel gowns.

     As the evening before, Ardria and the Colonel sat at the ends of the long table. Captains Tamwell and Brailsford sat to her left, wearing swords and pistols. A violation of every civilised protocol, but this was an exceptional situation.

     Soonia Darniss sat to the right of the Princess, close enough for their knees to bump under the table. They both studiously avoided the eyes of the other. At the other end of the table, Major Vellor sat beside Brailsford and two Carrow Captains sat beside Darniss. The former Matron was beaming as she chatted with the Carrow soldiers, discussing recent political and social events. As before, the Helberians listened carefully to everything that was said, but there was nothing as shocking as last night's revelation that Marboll was all but surrounded and that the final push to take the capital was expected any day now.

     They ate sausages, bacon and beans with fried bread served by Carrow soldiers in houseman uniforms, washed down with Lydian tea. It was perfectly prepared and delicious, but after having seen the arid state of the Carrow countryside Ardria doubted that most other people in the country were eating this well. Common courtesy prevented her from saying anything at the table, though.

     “I spoke to King Nilon last night, by telegraph,” said Colonel Hemdall when they were polishing their plates clean with the last pieces of bread. “He confirmed that he is expecting you, and is eagerly looking forward to meeting you.”

     “As we are to meeting him,” said the Princess.

     “He did have some instructions for me, though. Private Blake, if you would be so good?”

     One of the soldiers who'd been serving them nodded and went to the door. Ardria watched curiously as he beckoned to someone outside, then half rose from her seat in shock as half a dozen armed soldiers came walking in, holding guns that they aimed at Brailsford and the Helberians. Tamwell and Brailsford shot to their feet. Their hands went for their pistols, but the Carrow soldiers lifted their weapons higher and their fingers tightened on the triggers. The two Captains reluctantly let their hands drop.

     “What is this?” demanded Tamwell.

     “I’m afraid I must ask you to surrender your weapons,” said the Colonel. “If you don’t, you will be shot, and your Princess and the Duchess will continue on to Charnox without you.”

     “You will do nothing to me!” said Brailsford, though. “Any harm done to a soldier of the Empire will be answered forcefully.”

     “Oh I don’t think so,” replied the Colonel. “You have been out of touch with events in your country for some time now, so you don't know what I know. Emperor Tyron has bigger things on his mind than you and your men. Just two days ago, news reached us that the provinces of Ukrann and Listania seceded from the Empire...”

     “Impossible!” shouted Brailsford. “You're lying!”

     “Would I be so bold as to arrest a Captain of the Empire unless I were completely sure of my facts? I'm afraid it's no lie, Captain. The majority of the soldiers stationed in those provinces have joined the rebels, apparently keen to carve out their own little kingdoms. They are fighting those regiments still loyal to the Empire, and our analysts expect them to win. Other provinces are teetering on the brink. So you see, Tyron is in no position to declare war on anyone at the moment, even if he could spare the time to think of you. In any case, it's too late. The deed is done. I'm afraid that all the men you left camped outside the city are dead.”

     “My men!” cried Tamwell.

     The Colonel nodded regretfully. “Them as well. Everyone you left outside.” He turned back to Brailsford. “You and your men were given the chance to leave the country. You should have done so.”

     “You'll answer for this!” spat the Kelvon Captain. “I swear it!”

     “Choose your words carefully, Captain, or I may wonder whether you are worth the risk of keeping you alive. Surrender your weapons, and you will be treated well. If you do not, you will die.”

     “It is my sworn duty to protect the Princess!” protested Tamwell.

     “Princess Ardria is in no danger. She is far too valuable alive. You need have no fear on her account, I promise you.”

     Tamwell and Brailsford glanced at each other, then they unbuckled their sword belts and placed them on the table. They then carefully drew their pistols and, holding them by the barrels, placed them on the table as well. Soldiers came forward to take them.

     “My handmaid?” said Ardria, feeling a sense of shock settling over her like a heavy, suffocating blanket. She realised her hands were trembling and she stopped them with an effort. Appearances were all she had left now.

     “I'm sorry,” said the Colonel, and Ardria felt her guts grow heavy in her stomach as if they had suddenly turned to stone. “We only have your word that she was, truly, nothing more than a handmaid. These two...” He indicated Tamwell and Brailsford. “...I am confident are nothing more than soldiers, but your maid? Who knows what special training she might have had. Unarmed combat, sabotage. She might even have been a wizard for all I knew.”

     “She was a maid!” said Ardria, feeling tears of rage filling her eyes. “The only special training she's had was in palace etiquette.”

     “Then I'm truly sorry. If it's of any comfort to you, it was quick and painless. She never knew anything about it.”

     He rose to his feet. “And now, you must make preparations for departure. The King is waiting for you.”