“If the Carrowmen are still willing to negotiate with you, then the war must still be going on. Our boys are still holding out. They may even be winning.”

     “Do you think that's likely?”

     “I'd prefer not to speculate in present company.”

     “Yes, of course.”

     There were some chairs in the room. She sat down to ease her aching body. No matter how much time you spent in the saddle, you could only ride for so long before it began catching up with you. She looked out the window again. “This city seems almost deserted.”

     “They're all in Helberion right now," Tamwell replied. "Nobody left here but a skeleton crew. That's encouraging. It means their military forces are almost totally committed. They have no reserves to speak of.”

     “That's also worrying. They won't want us passing that information back to Marboll.”

     “I'm pretty sure our intelligence services have other ways of gathering that information. They won't worry about our telling them things they already know... Ah!” Ardria followed Tamwell's gaze through the still open door and saw Major Vellor returning with a Colonel. She stood, smoothed down her gown and tried to look confident and regal. Own the room, she remembered her father telling her once. The main part of being the King, or the Queen, is to own the room you're in, even if you're a guest in someone else’s palace. Don't wait to be greeted, greet them first. That's how you take control.

     The moment the Colonel came through the door, therefore, Princess Ardria came forward to greet him, her hand outstretched. “Colonel Hemdall I presume. It is a great pleasure to meet you. I wish it could have been under different circumstances, but we have to make the most of the situations we find ourselves in, do we not?”

     The scowl on the Colonel’s face told her that he knew exactly what she was doing, but he took it in good grace. “We do indeed,” he said. He glanced at Captain Tamwell and the pistol on his belt, then dismissed him from his attention and returned to the Princess. “This is an unexpected honour, your Highness. I do hope you'll understand that he have to make sure that you are who you say you are before we inform the King of your presence.”

     “Yes, of course.” She produced the letter addressed to King Nilon and handed it across. He examined the seal with a raised eyebrow, and then to her consternation broke it and opened the letter. “That was addressed to the King!” she exclaimed.

     “I speak for the King here.” He scanned his eyes down the letter. “Negotiate a cessation of hostilities,” he said, his thin mouth curling upwards with amusement. “I do love these diplomatic euphemisms.” He folded the letter up again and handed it back. “Very well. We'll find quarters for you and your men for the night, and you can continue on to Charnox in the morning, with a military escort.”

     “Thank you, Colonel. Would it be possible for my handmaid to join me here, tonight?”

     “Yes, of course. I'll have a man sent to your encampment to fetch her.”

     “I should also mention that we are escorting a Carrow aristocrat to Charnox. Duchess Soonia Darniss Pardew. She will be assisting us in our negotiations.”

     “Indeed? I imagine there's quite a story to be told there.” He waited, but the Princess only smiled back. “Very well,” he continued. “I'll have her sent for as well. We eat at eight. I would be honoured if you, the Duchess and your two companions would agree to dine with me and my staff.”

     While our men are killing each other on the battlefield, thought the Princess. She didn't say that, though. “We would be delighted,” she said instead. Hemdall nodded, then turned and left the room without another word.