Second Scene

VILLAGE. EXT. DAY.

The MARKETPLACE is closest to the outside of the village limits. Indoor shops line the streets. Outside food vendors shout to people, trying to draw them in.

Words appear over the bustle of the busy marketplace: 100 YEARS LATER.

CASSI, clothed in a red cloak that conceals her face, goes to the food vendor she usually buys from. They converse (inaudible).

MARLEE-a rogue-bumps into Cassi “accidently.”

CLOSE UP: MARLEE STEALING CASSI’S PURSE.

OUT: MARLIE STARTING TO RUN AWAY/

Cass holds out her hand, stopping Marlee with magic. As she lifts her hand, Marlee rises. Cassi  slams Marlee down. While Marlee is dazed, Cassi summons her purse from Marlee’s pocket. It floats over to Cassi’s hand.

CASSI

Didn’t you know its dangerous

to steal from me?

Marlee stands, brushing the dirt off her clothes angrily.

MARLEE

I can’t earn a decent wage?

CASSI

I don’t see how this is “earning” something.

MARLEE

I work hard.

CASSI

Stealing isn’t work. Now go get a job.

MARLEE

You little--

Marlee attacks Cassi. Cassi defends herself physically. Marlee begins to lose.

CASSI

I suggest you back down.

MARLEE

No! I need that money!

CASSI

Find a job.

Marlee does a trick shot that causes Cassi’s hood to fall back, revealing her face, ears and hair. The crowd freezes and Marlee stops short. Cassi takes Marlee’s arm and twists it so that she cannot escape Cassi’s hold while Cassi ties Marlee’s wrists together. Cassi goes back to shopping, Marlee stuck with her wrists jutting out behind her, rope in Cassi’s hand.

VENDOR

You should have known better than to try and steal from the “Red Cloak.”

MARLEE

You’re the Red Cloak?

Cassi pulls her away from the vendor after paying.