chapter five !

Bumpy roads decorated with potholes jerked the tour bus and the innocent, sleeping passengers inside the confined space, reeking of marijuana and strong alcohol from weeks of unclean partying. Both Johns had fallen asleep on either couch in the meeting room of the bus, meanwhile Robert had found a comfortable enough spot on the cheaply carpeted floor, being impacted the hardest by every sudden movement of the enormous traveling bus.

Jimmy and Mary has fallen asleep first, earlier in the night in the back of the bus, so they earned a spot in the bedroom; the envied spot for sleep, despite its stiff nature. Jimmy had surprisingly been the first one to wake in the bus, and sat straight up in the bed after doing so, studying aimlessly the floor that somehow seemed so much more intriguing than normal.

He lit a cigarette while Mary slept comfortably inches away from him, hopefully not waking her up as he took a painfully long drag. Coughing slightly at the prickling smoke that invaded his lungs, he transferred his now divided attention to the sleeping beauty beside him, whose chest rising and falling with easy, repetitive breaths he thought might be the most precious thing in the world. Proudly he smiled to himself, thinking how lucky he was for having made one smart decision with a new groupie that led him to where he sat right now, admiring her with every cell of his being.

After several more drags of his cigarette he returned to his spot in the bed, still warm during the time of his absence, holding Mary close to his chest. So close, he could feel her heart beating rhythmically, like the soft melody of a meaningful love song. He grinned as he breathed out, resolved, and rested his head against Mary's back.

"Good morning, darling," Mary cooed.

"Hush, princess, go back to sleep." Jimmy said, and despite loving the sound of her caring voice, he wanted to spend the extra few minutes in silence, brains free of worry and filled with healthy doses of oxytocin. He breathed in the scent of coconut and lavender that inhabited her hair, eyelids growing heavy at the soothing aroma.

Mary smirked and leaned her head back on top of Jimmy's curls for the remaining few moments they spent all tangled up. Jimmy dreaded having to get up and take on the duties of the day, including a performance in Baltimore and a press conference Washington D.C.. Mary reached back for Jimmy's hand and squeezed it before shuffling over to face him. "Can I talk now?"

Jimmy groaned and brushed a stray curl out of his eyesight, "Yeah, you can talk now."

"Good, I've been dying to hear your voice." Mary shared, flipping her hair out of her face.

Jimmy blushed a light pink blush, covering the outermost part of his cheekbones. Mary lightly traced over the coloring on his face, her lips parting slightly with strategy. An uncontrollable innocent smirk grew on Jimmy's lips as the touch of her fingers seemed to trigger it. "I don't want to do anything else but lie here with you all day," He whined.

"Oh, I understand. But there are thousands of people who are dying to see you." Mary answered, mindlessly caressing Jimmy's soft skin.

"You're the only one I'm dying to see," Jimmy responded, biting the innards of his cheek to keep his mischievous smile from spreading.

"You're the only one I'm dying to see as well, but there are plenty of people who are saying the exact same thing. Just do it, and when you're done, you can see me again. But until then, I get to spend as much time with you as I can."

"You really do have a way with words, don't you, princess?"

"Says you, the one with the gorgeous accent."

Jimmy's blush grew more intense with the help of Mary's compliment. "Thank you." With no further words, a kiss was planted on Mary's lips before he sat up again, his fingers still laced with hers. "Shall we be going? Catching up with the rest of the guys, anyway?"