XII. Rising Tensions

Time seemed endless in this forest. With Legolas leading us, it did not make the venture to the kingdom any faster. If anything, it made it seem slower. A part of me wanted to speed this process up. Once I knew I was safe from this forest, spiders, and Men, I could breathe easy.

*      *      *

            We would have traveled all night had it not been for Legolas insisting that we stopped to rest. Nikita and I were opposed to the idea, as she and I were not up for spending the night in a forest where there was a chance to be attacked by Men and Giant Spiders. Legolas somehow convinced us both to let him have his way.

We did not make a fire, though the cool air did call for it. Thalias and the mare did not have much to graze on, for the grass was pretty scarce. While Nikita took watch over the horses, I joined Legolas in scouting the perimeter up to a point.

            “Is your father expecting you?” I asked.

            “No. This will definitely surprise him.”

            “There is a place for the horses to stay, correct?”

            “Yes, of course. We do not keep many though. If we have to, we will release them and let them venture on the other side of the kingdom. I am sure they will not run off if they end up there. Speaking of the horses, how did you name him?”

            “Oh. That. When Lórien was attacked, I was almost abducted by a few Men. One Man pulled me off of Thalias, and he came to defend me. He helped drive the Men off, with the help of the guard of course. Once the Men were gone, we talked a little, and he commended Thalias’ bravery. You should have guessed why he was named so; you know his name means ‘bravery’ in Elvish.” I giggled. “I am surprised you did not piece it together.”

            “He is definitely a good companion for you, a good protector.”

            “I have more than one.” I smiled sheepishly. “When he is not by my side, you are.”

            “You can stay as long as you have to, Nimalia. You do not have to stay for a fortnight and then leave. As long as you remain in Greenwood, you will be under good protection.”

            “I do want to return home at some point, though. I want to spend the rest of my days there before heading off to the Undying Lands to search for my parents.” I laughed to myself. “You sound as though you want me to stay in Greenwood permanently.”

            “Truthfully, I would be a bit sad if you decided to leave. I enjoy your company.”

            We both heard it at the same time, a small snap. Legolas brought up his bow with an arrow loaded. My blue eyes bulged in fear. We both kept our breathing mute, ready to hear another noise. Something is here. Have they found us, or are we about to be attacked by spiders? I would prefer neither.

            Snap. We both spun around, Legolas sort of nudged me behind him. If they attack from behind, this is a bad move. This was a time where I wished I was armed with something. If only we got more weapons.

            We stood tense for a long minute before Legolas relaxed.

            “What do you think it was?” I whispered.

            “I do not know. We could not have been hearing things.” He turned to me. “Go back to Nikita and the horses, I will keep watch.”