Ch 17. Holding On and Pushing Away

The end is on its wayyyyy - I would say I hope she doesn't mind, but lets be honest, if she did she probably would have protested way before now. (lets hope the boys didn't pay attention to the username ;) )

_____________________

Weeks turned into months. Tour life was hectic with a capital H. With Scott’s existing popularity PTX had taken off and was doing insanely well. Of course they had to rework their sound, using more instruments on most of the album, but they still got to do their acapella thing as well. It was a compromise they were all completely willing to make. This also meant Kevin and Avi got more mic time which was perfect.

Things were just going perfectly. Ain’t it always the way…  

___

“Mitch.”

“Yeah?”  He turned to face the girl whose bed he was curled up in. He and Kirstie were having a girls night while Scott Avi and Kevin were schmoozing with the suits. He had no desire to kiss ass all night, (at least metaphorically) so he and Kirstie had remained behind for some champagne, nail painting and room service. It was glorious.

“Can I ask you a personal question?”

He raised an eyebrow. “Since when have you asked before being nosy?”

"Please don't get mad." 

He sat up. "Why would I get mad?" Red flag

She seemed hesitant, but she gave a tiny nod as if giving herself the go ahead. “Do you stay with Scott just because you don’t want to hurt him?” 

The question was so unexpected he literally just sat in silence for a moment as he processed. He was momentarily speechless. “Is this a joke? I feel like I should laugh at the absurdity of that question.”

“I’m serious. You’ve been different lately, we've all noticed it. You avoid him in public, flirt with guys right in front of him, I saw you on Grindr when Scott was asleep on the plane. You never say I love you first, you ignore him all the time. Mitch, if you don’t want to be with him then why are you?”

He felt all of the air leave his lungs. “You have no idea what you’re talking about. Me and Scott are fine.”

She shot him a look. “You know if I’ve noticed these things then hes been stewing over it for weeks. If things are so great then why is he miserable and you don’t seem to realize it?”

“He’s not miserable. He loves me!” He grabbed his stuff, feeling himself get angrier by the second. “I should go.”

“Please don’t stay with him because you’re afraid of losing him. That’s not fair to either of you.”

His hand was on the doorknob, but her words caused him to snap. “Are you fu¢king kidding me right now? Do you know how long I’ve wanted him? How many nights I cried myself to sleep because I just knew he’d never be mine? I LOVE him! Why in 7 hells would I ever give him up? ”

“Because it’s not really like you thought it would be? Because you’re better as friends? Because you’re not satisfied?”

He shook his head. “You have no idea how wrong you are.”

“I really hope so. Honestly.”

He rolled his eyes before storming out of the hotel room and quickly moving down the hallway to his own.

How dare she say he didn’t really love Scott! That man was everything to him. EVERYTHING! So what if they weren’t up each other’s asses all the time. They just needed their own space sometimes, right?