Part 5: Prunus Festival

Start from the beginning

While some festivals were energetic and noisy, this one was for sure very calm and meditative.

Yoohyeon then looked at the dimly pink blossoming trees of the surrounding woods, from wintry wands to a flourish of bouquets, the blossom was given to every passing eye. She sighed out an amazed - "Woah."

"It is beautiful, isn't it?" Asked Minji with a grin, taking a look herself, too.

Yoohyeon came out of her reverie with a deep sigh and looked at Minji with the dreamy gaze of a soul that had been wondering afar, star-led. "Yes. I am so glad I came to this village. Oh, you can't even imagine."

Minji chuckled, a happy tint of pink glittering its way on her face "I'm glad to hear that. Let's make it more enjoyable!" Yoohyeon then felt Minji's hand holding hers, rushing toward the peach blossoming trees that were all around them.

In the spring sky, aloft to the blue above, the peach tree wands became the sweetest baby pink.

"Come on, you have to taste our strawberries. I can bet you've never tasted a strawberry this big and delicious!" She held the other girl's hand and took her toward the stands, while the latter followed her with a feeling of the joyous and cheerful ache of her chest that was nothing but pleasant.

"Hey, Minji. I actually have something to ask you." Yoohyeon pulled the sleeve of Minji's dress after they were done tasting all kinds of fruit, sitting under one blossoming tree while the pink and white petals were flying around them in the air.

"Yes?" The black-haired girl turned her face to Yoohyeon. Their shoulders were touching as they were sitting next to each other, leaning on the tree.

"Is the festival always held in the tent? That's kind of weird, to be all honest." She said, scratching her scalp awkwardly.

Minji laughed, her eyes disappearing into two crescent moons as she did so. "I know it might be seen as weird, but for me and the other villagers, it's the smartest idea!" She said with a small smile, taking her glittering eyes toward the big tent, seeing her mom and other women taking food inside. "Do you want to hear a story about it?" She asked softly, gazing at Yoohyeon again who was already looking at her.

Yoohyeon nodded, giving Minji an honest smile.

The latter sighed, crouching her legs up and hugging her knees "A few years ago when I was around 12 years old, there was this girl your age. She was almost 10 years older than me, but she always treated me not like a child, but as her friend. She constantly played with me, gave me gifts and protected me from everything. I truly loved her." She told, a sweet and nostalgic smile taking a place on her features "When she first arrived here, it was festival days, but at that moment when everyone was about to start celebrating, it started raining. All the lanterns got dimmed, food got wet, and everyone was about to go home, but she was the one that came up with that suggestion to all go inside a tent. I have no idea from where she brought this huge waterproof tent, though." Minji laughed at the memory, shaking her head softly "I remember being so amazed at that time..."

-=-

March 13; 1846

"Good morning, Miss Bora," Seonghwa said with a minor smile after the girl whose white face was harmoniously surrounded by a graceful hat satin walked out of her house. The son was fascinated by the woman's flexible body, and beautiful movement. Upon arrival from the door, the dress was slightly raised and the leg exposed, its delicate contours clearly reflected in the white, pale socks.

"Morning, Seonghwa. How's your day going?" She asked, honestly trying to keep up with the conversation. If she had three weeks to get to know this man, she would try her best to do exactly that.