Chase the Ace

Max and I head to her house for lunch, and then we're planning on hanging out at the mall before we're to watch Day of the Dead with the gang later tonight. Well, the gang minus Dustin and El. She has a curfew, and a lot of rules. I'm not really sure what they all are.

But what I am sure about, is Mike's relationship with El is definitely taking a toll on Hopper. I can only imagine how annoying it must be to have two teenage nuisances making out everyday in your house. It's annoying enough for the gang and they're not even there half the time. It's like everything about them being together is annoying. Whether they're with us or not it's like they ignore everyone else.

I already promised El I wouldn't get mad at her about this anymore, because she told me she really likes Mike, and I guess in a sense I know how that feels. So I try to stay empathetic.

Anyway, what with all the rebellion that the couple are performing, Hopper has really let it go to his head. I've noticed the change because we've started having breakfast together every two weeks just because otherwise we never see each other, and I know that at one point in my life I really looked at him as a father figure. Whether that perspective is gone now or not doesn't matter, because either way he's super important to me. We use the time to catch up with one another and really just shit talk Mike and El. I know that it makes him feel better to vent about everything over pancakes, so I feel like I do my service for both him and Eleven.

I do my service for him by listening to his issues, and I do my service to El by letting him rant on and on about his anger to me, so that he goes home with a little less weight on his shoulders.

It's honestly the least I can do considering all he's done for me.

My next breakfast is scheduled for tomorrow morning, and I have no doubt that Hopper will have lots to tell me.

The walk to Max's house is short, and I strip off my elbow and knee pads as I ascend the steps leading to her door, which I am about to open when it's opened for me. My eyes snap up to the face of Billy, and I grin.

"Ah, if it isn't my favourite asswipe."

He stares down at me in response. I've learned from six months of being around Billy that he's just like my brother used to be; he'll do anything to be seen as superior, but he can't really hurt me. Not after what Max said, and not while his parents are home and I have the upper hand.

"Out of my way, midget." He tries to be threatening, but I just smirk and lean on the doorway.

"I may be short, but you're still beneath me."

He scoffs, "I said get out of my way, or else."

"'Or else'?" I wave my hands in the air spookily, "Oh shit. He said 'or else'. I'm terrified." I laugh, "or else what, Hargrove?"

He steps forwards and looks down at me as I smugly smile up at him, "Or else you won't be able to see with those eyes or smell out of that nose ever again."

"Oh!" I pat his arm challengingly, "thank goodness! 'Cause you stink of bullshit, Billiam."

He dryly laughs a little, looking the other way and then licking his lips and grabbing the collar of my shirt with his hand. I smirk right in his face as he brings me up to face him, venom dripping from him voice.

"Are you hoping to die young?"

"Well you know what they say, 'only the good die youn—"

He shakes me a little and I can't help the little spike of fear I feel in my chest. I recall what occurred the last time I got in a fight with Max's brother.