T.N.T.

"What is that thing?" Jonny whisper-shouts at me despite what I said about asking questions. I roll my eyes.

"Big scary monster with a lot of teeth," I mutter, because how else can I explain the Mind Flayer? "Steer clear."

"Where did it come from? Why are you involved? How—"

The Mind Flayer lets out a terrifying screech that shakes the car, and Jonny grabs my arm. I look at his hand, then slowly back to him.

"Griswold Family, this is Scoops Troop," Dustin's voice sounds over a walkie-talkie, which just clattered towards us, "Please confirm your safety! Griswold Family, this is Scoops Troop! Please confirm your safety! Are you en route to Bald Eagle's nest?"

Jonny lets go of my arm, his eyes wide with fear. I sigh; I may resent the guy for not leaving me alone, but he's confused, and scared, and has no idea what's going on. I put away my feelings of annoyance for now.

"It'll be okay," I tell him, "we'll get you out. It'll be fine."

The Mind Flayer roars once more, but Jonny nods, looking at me.

"Dustin—Liz is there—" I can hear Steve's voice over the transmission as well, sounding scared.

"Please confirm your safety!" Dustin shouts in a garbled voice, "Someone, please just answer. Is anyone there?"

Beside me, Will shudders.

"Just answer! Anyone, please..."

The stomping, squishing sounds of the creature pass by, and all of us do our best to cover our heavy breathing.

"Griswold Family, do you copy?"

The Mind Flayer growls, and I realize it's moving away from us. It's hunting for El.

"Griswold Family, do you copy?"

I think maybe I can hear Steve's voice again, but it's wishful thinking. So much for steering clear of the fight.

"Griswold Family, do you copy?"

Jonny closes his eyes, his head resting against the car. I can picture him wondering how he got here.

"Do you copy?!"

Dustin stops yelling after that, and the Mind Flayer begins to scour the floor, its steps quaking the mall and its low chitter chilling our bones.

I look at Will, but he's just plain petrified. I try to think up a plan, but it's difficult with the squelching steps of the monster that hunts us.

I look past Will, hearing faint footsteps and hoping to god it isn't Mike, Max, and El. I hold my breath, hearing a loud crash from inside a faraway store.

"Shit," I mutter as the Mind Flayer suddenly screeches, pounding to the source of the commotion. I gather my legs beneath me, going to stand up when Jonny and Will both pull me down.

"No," Will says, shaking his head with wide eyes.

"We can't just leave them," I argue quietly, hearing a distant roar and thud.