Prologue

". . . And a high of 105 degrees this afternoon. That's the weather for today, now stay tuned because after these short messages we'll be playing Take On Me by A-ha. We know you love that song, folks."

I turn off my radio without moving from where I lie flat on my back on the edge of my bed, in the only position that doesn't make me sweat like a pig. It's only the first day of summer, but it feels like it's been hot forever. I have strategically placed a grand total of six fans in my room so that air is hitting me at every second.

But only if I lie in this position.

It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. My posture can suffer a little if it means surviving this scorching weather. I've already lost all six of my friends to the heat, that's how bad it is.

Okay, that's a lie. In honesty, they're all hanging out at the pool right now, but I got banned from that place two and a half months ago. Which is bullshit. The only reason it happened is because Billy Hargrove has an eternal grudge against me ever since I attacked him last year. A fight that I might remind you left me with a broke arm. He won, so I don't see why he's so angry about it. Long story short I accidentally did a cannonball on Curtis Frank and broke his collarbone. Nothing to get banned over in my mind. No one really likes Curtis anyway.

Of course, I still go to the pool whenever Billy isn't on his shift, but he works pretty much every day, which means I have to be discreet. To add onto the hardships, he put a picture of me on the billboard there so that everyone knows I shouldn't be at the pool.

I swear the guy needs to learn how to let some things go.

If I'm being completely candid, I'm not really in the mood to hang out with my friends right now. I would bet money that they aren't even at the pool anymore. The place kinda busts considering it's always crowded with little kids and old grandmas, not to mention Mike's mother. I would also bet money that Mike and Eleven have ditched everyone to go make out somewhere. I roll my eyes just thinking about it. The two have been inseparable for the past six months. Even when Max and Lucas were dating they didn't spend every moment of their lives together. But then again, they're just as annoying with how much they break up and get back together and fight and make up and bicker constantly.

So, if I'm calculating everything correctly, what's currently going on somewhere outside the safe confines of my house is Will awkwardly walking alongside Max and Lucas, who are most likely arguing about something completely useless, like the correct way to eat a banana.

I'm suddenly happy I'm not there with them. I do pity poor Will though, no one wants to be caught in the middle of a never ending feud between two exes.

It feels like at this point Will is the only person I can really stand. Max mostly too. I love my friends, I really do. In the past year we've gotten closer, but we've also grown apart. Like, sure Lucas and I bond over making fun of Mike and Eleven, but we also disagree on a lot of things. Sure Dustin and I made up last year, but since then things haven't exactly been the same.

Let me explain. At the Snowball, when Dustin apologized and I forgave him and everything was fine and dandy, I met Jonny Ross. At the time, it seemed like he was the perfect guy. At the time, I was tired of chasing Dustin only for him to neglect me. At the time, I needed someone. Anyone.

He was a lot different than anyone in the party. He wasn't nerdy, but he was smart. He was funny, but not rude. He was nice, but could take a joke. He listened. He was interesting. He wasn't a jerk.

I was with him for three months. Three months of happiness and fun. The gang even liked him. Except for one. I had to deal with Dustin smack talking my boyfriend every minute of every day. I didn't care though, I liked Jonny too much.