Chapter Seven

You guys, this chapter has taken everything in me to get perfect. I wanted you to enjoy it as much as I did. I cried, happy tears, which is why it took so long to get to you. So I hope you enjoy this.

Not only is there a playlist to go along with this chapter and the story in general, but art!! It'll be down at the bottom, so I hope you like it. I spent a long time trying to make it right for this moment. The playlist is in the comments.

Thank you to Skyeskywalker for helping me with research and continuity issues. It made this a lot smoother and I truly appreciate the love and support you have given me.

Thank you to Moony_Mcmoonmoon, ellesbelles_16, winnybrat5152, its_bucky_barnes, obsceneinsanity, and SUPERfan394 who all suggested songs that made it to the playlist. And a thank you to gazabaaa123, Newso78256, and savvyfriend, who all suggested songs that were lovely, but didn't make it on the playlist.

Without further ado, I'd like to present to you... chapter seven.

- Jo x

2021

The breeze is gentle, a soft caress against Steve's cheeks. It chills the air, cooling down his body as he paces the small tent they've set up in the field. Bucky's in the tent over. Steve's still not sure why they had to have separate tents, but Darlene and Daisy insisted.

Darlene sits a few feet away, eyes closed and head leaned back as she hums quietly to herself. "You should sit down," she says.

"It's hard to sit down. The anticipation is killing me," he tells her.

"Maybe so, but old bones need to rest, Steve. You should take the opportunity to relax while you can, the little ones won't sleep forever, you know."

Steve runs a hand over his hair and nods. Pepper had styled it, slicked it back and used enough pomade to straighten out the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Not even Steve could mess it up. He wipes his hand on a towel she left at the little vanity they brought in and joins Darlene in the little metal chairs.

Darlene takes his hand, her wrinkled hand soft and gentle in his calloused palm. She opens one eye and smiles, squeezing her hand as she closes her eye again. "Big day today. Are you nervous?"

"No," Steve says. "It's hard to be nervous when we've already done this. Been there, done that, right?"

"True, but take it from a woman who's seen many weddings in her day. It doesn't matter how many times you do it, to the same person or to others, it's always new and exciting. It's okay to be nervous, as long as it's an excited nerve and not a cold feet nerve. I didn't fly all the way out here for you to get cold feet, Rogers," Darlene says.

Steve shakes his head and leans back in his chair, adjusting his slacks. "I'm not getting cold feet." He looks around the tent, at the crib in the corner and the toys scattered about. Steve smiles, scratches at his beard, and says, "I just know there's nothing to be nervous about. Bucky and I have been together for too long to get nervous about things like this. Not when this is... something I never thought was possible."