Forty-Five ~ Raise

A/N:

Harry: Why did the clock use a pogo stick?

Fionn: *groans* not this again

Harry: c'mon, I promise it's funny

Fionn: alright, fine *whispers I'm gonna regret this* Okay, Harry, I give up. Why did the clock use a pogo stick?

Harry: cos he wanted to see time jump . . . which is what happens in this chappie. Okay I'm done-kirk

Harry and Fionn:

***Alex's POV

One year ago, I was a broken man. Most of my mates heroically gave their lives over in France for the sake of freedom, I didn't have anywhere to go, and if I'm being honest, I didn't like myself. Even though I was valiantly fighting for my country, I wasn't doing anything with my life; I felt like I was just existing.

And then Tommy entered the picture and gave me a chance. Had I let my pride win and not accepted his generous offer or Mrs. Hughes' kindness of letting me stay with them, I probably would've just given up on everything.

All throughout my childhood and adolescent years, my parents constantly reminded me that I was an accident, that I wasn't worth loving, that I was a burden to them and that I would never amount to anything in my life.

If only my parents could see me now because I have a steady full-time job, wonderful mates that I would literally take a bullet for and a beautiful woman who I plan to pop the question to as soon as she graduates from university.

If I had to go back and endure what I went through all over again, I would because every decision I made and everything that happened to me up to that point made me the man I am today, and I'm quite proud of that man.

I'm the luckiest bloke in the world.

"It's quittin' time," Mr. Hughes announces. "Come gather 'round for your paychecks, lads."

Letting out a tired breath, I set my protective goggles on my work desk and turn out my lamp for the weekend. As I push in my stool, I feel a hand on my shoulder and I look over to my right.

"Have a nice weekend, Alex."

Even though Ronald and I buried the hatchet several months ago, I'm still not used to him being kind and I hate to admit that it still takes me by surprise.

"Thanks, Ronald. You, too. Oh and I hope your numbers are picked tomorrow night."

He crosses his fingers in hopes to win the lottery and we make our way to the front of the store. Collin and Tommy are already there, no doubt anxiously waiting for us so Mr. Hughes can call our names. He always goes in alphabetical order of our first names, which means I'm first out of the bunch, but he hasn't called my name yet.