Sixteen ~ Home

To say the afternoon has been awkward would be a massive understatement. After Georgina surprised me with that toe-curling smooch, I've felt a bit weird and I've watched my back, even when Mrs. Hughes was giving me my first reading lesson.

It was difficult to focus on the letters when Tommy could've snuck up behind me at any moment and put me in a headlock for what was absolutely not my fault.

When Georgina pulled me down and locked lips with me, I felt so many things. It's been a while since I've felt a woman's soft, sweet lips and even though it was only a couple seconds, it stirred those familiar feelings within me.

The look on Tommy's face, however, quickly subdued the growing situation in my trousers and none of us spoke a word on the walk home. I had even made a mental note to see if my bedroom has a lock on the door, that or I'd push the sewing machine against it before bedtime.

During supper, which was one of Mrs. Hughes best meals, Tommy kept the conversation alive and pretended that nothing happened, and the lack of eye contact with me made me even more nervous than his death stares he's given me.

Even now, while I fix the one of the slats in the backyard fence, I'm still looking out for a surprise attack from my mate. With every nail I hammer into the nearly rotted wood, I imagine Tommy lecturing me about no funny business with his sister right before he gives me a knuckle sandwich.

For a skinny bloke, he sure has an arm on him.

"Oh, there you are."

I turn around at the sound of Georgina's voice, greeting her with a friendly and relieved smile.

"Here I am," I coyly reply, dropping the hammer in the toolbox. "Were you looking for me?"

"Yeah. Mum said you were out here fixing the fence," she glances over, pointing at it and I smile at my handiwork.

"Did you need anything fixed?"

"Oh, no, it's just . . . I wanted to apologize for, you know, for kissing you. I was just getting back at my obnoxious brother. It didn't mean anything."

Ouch. But I thought-. No. It can't happen.

"An apology isn't necessary," I curtly reply, picking up the toolbox. "I understand." She nods, looking up at me with her sparkly blue eyes and I clear my throat. "It's getting dark. We should head inside."

Tucking her curly blonde hair behind her ear, Georgina nods and I gesture my arm for her to go first. As we make our way across the yard, I feel a raindrop on my cheek and I look up at the sky.

The dark, puffy clouds look like they could start pouring rain any second and I encourage Georgina to hurry. Once we're inside and shut the door, it's like the sky opens up and it starts raining.

"We made it in the nick of time," Georgina breathlessly laughs, looking out the window and I realize I'm staring.

"Uhm, yeah," I awkwardly clear my throat, earning her attention.

"Would you like a cuppa?"

"Sure, that sounds good."

"Alright you can have a seat. I'll put on the kettle."

While Georgina walks over to the stove, I take a seat at the table. The constant sound of the rain pelting on the roof and windowpanes is calming and is accompanied by the gentle rumbling of the water boiling.

"It's awfully quiet. I haven't heard your mum, o-or Tommy. Speaking of, have you seen him- I mean them?"

"Mum is knitting in the living room and I think Tom Tom's in his room. Why do you ask?"