Fifteen ~ Interview

"Would you mind if we stopped by your uncle's clock shop?"

"Now?" Tommy asks and I eagerly nod. "Let's see, it's nearly five. He could still be there. Yeah, sure. You don't mind, Georgie, do you?"

"'Course not. Maybe Auntie Betty will be there, too."

"Alright, it's settled then," Tommy says with a clap to his hands. "Uncle Irwin's shop is just a few blocks out of the way from home, so I'll ring Mum when we get there so she won't worry."

"Right. I don't want to do anything more to upset your mum."

"What do you mean anything more?" Georgina asks and I give her a knowing look.

"It's no secret that I haven't been the best houseguest."

My nervous chuckle makes her smile and it's like we're both reliving the first time we met.

I just had to sneak down for a late night snack.

"Oh that's right, and you scared me half to death."

"Well, I recall that you paid me back. You have quite the arm, Georgina. Who knew apples could be used as a weapon?"

"Hey!" Tommy's harsh tone makes us stop laughing and the look on his face sends a shiver down my spine.

"Cool your jets, will you, Tom Tom? Gee whiz. Alex and I were just talking."

"Yeah well, just . . ." Tommy trails off, making eye contact with me and he mouths 'no funny business.'

Huffing out a breath, I nod and decide to leave this matter alone for right now.

I'll talk to him tonight.

"Oh wow! We're already here," Georgina happily exclaims, pointing to the sign hanging above the door.

Hughes' Clocks And Watches. Hm, not very creative.

"Are you gonna come inside with us or stay out here with the birds?" Tommy snickers at my expense.

"Aw, don't tease him. Alex was just admiring the shop's window display. Right, Alex?"

"Yeah, I was. Thank you, Georgina."

She smiles sweetly at me and walks through the open door that Tommy's holding, leaving me and her very protective older brother by ourselves. He raises his eyebrows as if he's silently threatening me and I give his shoulder a little shove.

"C'mon, mate, not for now," I huff, stepping in front of him to walk inside the shop.

Clocks all ranging in different sizes and colors are displayed on the walls and on display cases and the incessant ticking makes me wonder if I could actually work here every day.

"M'sorry, but we're just about to close," an older sounding voice from the back area captures our attention.

"Uncle, it's us; Tommy and Georgie, your favourite nephew and niece."

The curtain covering the doorway opens and an older man dressed in a suit and brown smock stops in his tracks, looking absolutely gobsmacked.

"Tommy, you're back! Your aunt and I have prayed for your safe return and now you're home. Mercy me, aren't you the spitting image of my brother," the tall, slender man with salt and pepper hair swallows harshly as if he's stopping his tears and he kisses Tommy's cheek. "And you, Georgina, you're just as lovely as ever."

"Thank you, Uncle Irwin. Is Auntie Betty here today?"

"M'afraid not, darling. She's been feeling under the weather lately."

After Dunkirk [Discontinued]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें