" According to your men it was car trouble, however they claim you was disheveled and bleeding from the head. Unless your car exploded you shouldn't be sporting any damage. Now let's here the real story King". My Pape spoke in that no nonsense manner that crawled my nerves.

"I said it was car trouble and that's that". I shot back.

" Okay. I'm own the way to my jet now. See you soon". He retorted.

Fuck. If he came here it would be hell to pay. "Fine". I growled.

" I had a disagreement with some chic. I was drinking, thing's got out of hand and you can fill in the blanks".

Stone cold silence filled the other end of the line. Then suddenly a exploding boom of laughter rattled my ear. Holding the phone away from my pounding head I heard my Pape say between gales of laughter. "Better stay away from that one. Seems you met your match. I'll let you go now so you can continue your girly war games".

" Yea. Thanks Pape". I replied dryly.

"Son, just be careful. Us Harper men are known to pick the craziest women of the bunch." Then his voice faded off and I knew he was thinking of my mother.

" I miss her too Pape".

"I know you do son. I pray everyday that thing's will eventually get easier but..."

Not wanting to say what was on my mind but tired of seeing my Pape suffer and being lonely, I suggested. "Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea if you made some female companionship. It might help".

Suddenly the tension was so strong I could feel it through the line. Instantly I knew I should have kept my thoughts to myself. Never did I want to see my Pape with another woman nor could anyone replace my mother, I just hated seeing him so sad and alone. Not to mention that his grief was my fault. "Never". He roared.

" No matter where your mother is, I will always be hers and only hers. As she will always be only mine. No one, especially another woman could ever take this pain away. My love goes to the grave". His voice cracked.

"I'm sorry Pape. I shouldn't have mentioned it".

We ended the call in a calm awkwardness and I couldn't help but feel low. As I was wallowing in my out of context word's, my men entered my apartment. "Your car is home and ready for whenever you need it Boss".

" Thanks". I nodded.

"Also there has been a hit on your missing cash."

At this news I sat up and was quickly reminded of my sore body. "And?"

" We are waiting for an arrest to be made so we can learn who the culprit is".

Nodding again, I ordered. "Inform me soon as you find out. We will bail this sack of shit out then I'll take care of them using my own laws".

My men nodded then filed out. Finally i was free to think of Ashton. Having no real solution as to how to handle this, I found myself in my car going to her place to finish what she started.

It was no surprise that my knocks went unanswered. Assuming she was just pretending to not be at home, I slyly let myself in. After a brief walk through I discovered that she really wasn't at home. Taking a seat in a luxurious corner chair, I patiently waited. Noting that her home was extravagantly decorated I had to wonder exactly what she did for a living. Obviously her job provided well and had I not been so dead set on not learning anything about her maybe I would know.

Another hour trickled by before I heard the door open and saw her enter. Ashton carried a cute basket filled with fine fruits and vegetables bought from the farmer's market along with a few shopping bags. She hummed a sweet tune as she made her way to the kitchen unbeknownst that I was watching her. Her red hair seemed glow from her perfectly heart shaped face as she busied herself with putting her produce away. Instantly I was reminded of the tale of Little Red Riding Hood and I was the big, bad wolf. The better to eat you my dear, kept repeating in my head.

Finally, I removed myself from the rather comfortable chair and silently stalked her. When Ashton turned around it was too late, I was already upon her. Letting out a yelp, she circled around her kitchen island. Grabbing up a long loaf of French bread, she wielded it like a sword. "What are you doing here crazy?"

" Huh, crazy? Says the person that believes a loaf of bread will save them? No, I'm not the crazy one. The crazy one left me for dead in the middle of the hot desert with no gas and a dead battery".

"I most certainly did not". She retorted.

" Did to".

"No, I left your car running with the air on to keep you cool. How was I supposed to know you'd sleep so long".

" Ummmm.... Maybe because of the softball sized knot you put on my head". I yelled.

"Ph-leaseee. It wasn't that bad". She insisted.

" you know what, I liked you much better when you was nice and sweet". I snarled.

"Oh really? Maybe you should ask yourself why I'm not sweet to you anymore? Wait, I'll answer that. Because your a bonifide jackass who deserved everything you got last night". She screamed pointing the bread at me.

Growling, I raced around the island after her but she darted to the opposite side. "Come here". I demanded.

" Oh sure. I'm more than willing to hand myself over to a deranged lunatic who tried to kill a man last night". She snorted.

Pointing my finger at her sternly, I growled. "Bitch".

Pointing the bread back at me just as sternly, she growled back. "Bastard, jerk, asshole, mental abuser, gigantic dick head, twat face, concecited , selfish, user, pimple on the ass of humanity, cum sucking, bigger bitch".

Taken aback by language I'd never heard her use, I raced around the island after her and this time she stood her little bitty ground. I was met by a loaf of bread to the face but she didn't stop there. Ashton continued to pummel me with the loaf of bread as chunks flew off in all directions. Jerking what was left of the bread, I begin to wallop her in the head with it as she squealed and tried to maneuver away. Eventually the bread was no more than shards scattered about the kitchen and our bodies. As I was about to grab her and show her just what betraying me will get you my phone went off. Holding my hand up to keep her at bay, I quickly read the text. Fear seized my heart and I rushed out between stumbling lips. "We will continue this later".

Running to the door, Ashton yelled after me. "I hope so and I'll have more than just a loaf of bread to attack you with next time asshole. Oh, by the way, never come back".

Ignoring her word's because of something more important, I continued on out the door. The text kept blaring in my mind. "Your Pape has been shot. Not much details at the time".