Chapter 6

Mikaela's POV

The Coca Cola 600 was the longest race of the season, it was also my first ever NASCAR race

I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was hard not to get caught up in the excitement.

Ryan had qualified in seventh, and he was among the fastest in final practice.

Ryan's PR person Will had told me that we would pose for a few photos and do a couple of interviews as part of our promotion.

I had picked up a Ryan Blaney T-shirt and hat from the souvenir trailer and was wearing them today.

Will had also told me that I could watch the race from Ryan's teams pit box, and Ryan introduced me to his crew chief Jeremy.

Since I would be performing the anthem however, I would not be able to stand with him for pre race ceremony.

I had to keep reminding myself to maintain a professional appearance since I was here representing my record label as well as promoting NASCAR, and my new video.

Last night at concert at the track, I performed my song, then Ryan and I later appeared together on Trackside Live, where the world premiere of the video was shown.

A lot of people asked if we were a couple, especially after seeing the video.

Both Ryan and I brushed them off. No. We were just working together. A joint collaborative effort between NASCAR and the record label strictly for publicity. There were a few other projects in the works that we could not comment on.

It was hard. No touching, no sideways glances. My hands longing to feel him, but I had to try to maintain neutral body language all the while my body was on fire.

It certainly didn't help matters that his firesuit hugged his ass in the most delicious way, and I was glad for the dark sunglasses I was wearing so no one could see me sneaking sideways glances at him.

It was time for me to make my way to the stage, as pre race ceremonies would be starting soon.

I waved at him and wished him luck. After the ceremony, I would join his team in the pit box to watch the race.

***********

The race was over. Ryan had run in the top ten for a good portion until a broken axel cost him several laps and he finished twenty fourth. I was given a scanner in the pit box and was listening to his radio. He was not happy.

Ryan was quiet on the drive back to his house. I wondered if he was upset about the race. I  asked him what was on his mind. He said he was trying to focus on the road and getting home because having to keep his distance from me all day long was killing him. I smiled at him. We would make up for that soon.

**********

The next day, Ryan and I were all over social media. My appearance at the race and on Trackside, as well as the premiere of the video had a lot of people talking. Especially the video.