13| 𝑅𝐸𝑆𝑃𝐸𝐶𝑇

As soon as I settled into the car and slammed the door shut, the headlights shone brighter

As soon as I settled into the car and slammed the door shut, the headlights shone brighter. My eyes widened at this and the kids and Steve shielded their eyes. I threw my hands up, showing that I wasn't doing it, but they probably couldn't see.

When the lights dimmed down, I stuck my head out the car window and shouted, "I swear that wasn't me!"

Everyone looked at me, then the headlights. I settled back into the car, ready to go home and go to sleep, but then I remembered that this wasn't my car. My car was still on the cliff by the lab.

"Shit!" I screeched. I jumped out of the car and slammed the door shut, running away in the direction of where I think my car is.

"Where are you going?" Max yelled after me.

"I forgot my car!" I yelled back. With that, I turned back around and sprinted to my precious car.

In the forest, I spotted my car. I giddily ran up to it and searched my pockets for my keys. My eyes wandered to the lab and I saw a figure walking out. It was Hopper.

I ran down the small hill and narrowly missed a tree while running towards my father. Breaking through the forest, his eyes snapped to my sprinting figure in caution, but eased when he saw it was me.

Looking at what was in his hands, I saw El passed out in his arms. Was she passed out? Or...?

"Oh my god," I choked, unable to hold back tears. "Is she...?"

"No," he sighed. "Just exhausted."

I let out a shaky breath and sniffed, holding out my arms and wrapping them around Hopper's neck, squeezing him.

"Alright, alright, jesus," he coughed. I let go and gave him a smile. A tear rolled down my cheeks and I let out a forced laugh.

I wiped a tear away. "Can we go home?"

"Sure, kid," he smiled.

Three days later, school started again. It was a regular Monday, I just skipped last Thursday and Friday for the whole Mind Flayer thing. I've been avoiding Billy, taking my car to school early and mostly staying in, but now I have to get out and most likely see him.

Parking in my usual spot, facing Billy's, I got out of my car and shut the engine off. Stepping out, I almost slammed into a stone wall.

Nope, it was Billy.

"Hey," he said in a deep voice. I took one look at him and glared. Without saying a word, I rounded him and marched off into the school. I could practically see him rolling his eyes.

School dragged on. Math was math. English was English. But chemistry was different.

"Hargrove and Turner," the teacher announced. "Your presentations?"