Chapter 12

With 106 having joined the group they continued down the maze like halls of the site. With 096 following close behind 106 and 049 and 035 arm in arm.

The group could almost be described as out of place, at peace almost, in contrast to their environment. The fluorescent lights on the edge of shutting off, alarms wailing throughout the halls, and blood marking almost every surface in sight. It was chaos. Despite their undesirable environment the Mask attempted at conversation.

"What do you suppose would happen after we get out, Doc?" A smile across his face despite the tone of concern in his voice.

"Most likely we'll have to go into hiding, perhaps only for a century, perhaps even the rest of our lives." The Doctor's eyes were downcast, not bothering to try and conceal the gloom that clouded over his golden eyes.

The Mask's heart ached seeing the sorrow in his partner's stare and hearing it in his voice. A frown appeared on his face, but only for a moment.

"Well then, what do you wish would happen after we get out?"

"What do I wish would happen?" 049 mulled over the question, a soft smile growing under his mask. "I'd like to go back to Europe, perhaps go live out in the countryside. I'd continue my research and you could continue to perform without having to worry about the foundation."

A sigh escaped his lips, the gloom no longer evident in his eyes or tone. Instead he seemed at peace, hopeful almost. "Just like the good old days."

035's head rested on 049's shoulder, he felt better now that the sense of sorrow, that they might never really escape, had been blocked out. "Just like the good old days."

The other two had been watching, it wasn't common to see things like that in here. 096 had put his hand on 106's shoulder, a soft smile resting on his face. 106 was grinning a bit too. It was nice to see that happy things could happen, even in their current situation.

The group continued like that for awhile until they reached an intersection and 096 pointed out the scrapes on the floor. He tapped the floor, humming.

"Well, we know 173's been here," 106 chuckled.

"Let's follow the trail then, c'mon," 035 cheered. Waving at the others to follow him as he jogged along the tracks.

049 quietly chuckled at the mask's antics, following behind.

They hadn't even made it halfway down the hall when singing or humming was heard.

Soon enough a figure came around the corner, before anyone could get a good look at it the thing rushed towards the group. They all tried to get out of the way but whatever was screeching down the hall tackled 049 to the ground.

They were all still as statues for a moment, not saying a word. Just looking at what had latched onto the Doctor.

After a moment 049 propped himself up on his elbows, looking down at the figure. The impact had knocked his hood down revealing long, tangled black hair with small streaks of white.

"J-Jay?"

The figure looked up, nodding enthusiastically.

The others could get a better look at it now. It was a plague doctor, similar to 049 but not exactly. It's robe wasn't the same black, instead being more on the grey or brown side. It had a different mask and wore a hat.

"What are you doing here?" 049's voice was now laced with worry.

"I don't know, this place just keeps finding me and trying to put me into containment."

035's mind was buzzing a mile a minute before he remembered the other plague doctor. 106 and 096 we're just confused.

049 sat up, placing his hands on Jay's cheeks, his ability having no effect. He almost immediately switched into worried parent mode.

"Are you alright? Did they hurt you? Are you injured?"

"I'm fine, I'm not hurt, everything's fine." Jay said, letting go of 049 and sitting next to him.

035 walked behind Jay, kneeling down and placing a hand on his shoulder. He kept his attention in 049.

"Everything's alright, calm down," his smile seemed softer somehow.

"Right, right, of course," the Doctor muttered, standing up. The other two doing so as well.

049 turned to face 106 and 096 who had been watching, confused. "I suppose I should introduce you, this is Jay, my brother."