Spider...Chapter Nine

CHAPTER IX: (Song: Landslide or Dear God)

Cameron rolled and stretched on the unfamiliar bed. Jack was opposite the bed, standing in front of the door. It was quite dark, and very quiet.

"Good morning," Jack greeted. Cameron sat up on the comfortably small bed.

"It's morning? But I thought..."

"Yeah, no. You fell asleep watching the Godfather last night. Don't worry, half the people here didn't know you even came, and they all went home."

"...oh." Cameron looked down at the blanket that she was covered with in thought, and then she remembered her cell phone---

"Oh my gosh! Aunt Sherry and Uncle Henry! They should be back by now! What am I going to tell them?! They're gonna think--"

"Take a chill pill. Just call them and see where they're at. If they're home, say you woke up really early to fill in for someone at work." Cameron pursed her lips in consideration. Jack must be really good at lying...she thought as she pulled her cellular device out of her pocket, turned it on, and dialed her Aunt's number. She put a finger to her mouth to signal for Jack to be silent, and he nodded his head.

"Hey...Aunt Sherry?"

"...yeah?"

"You guys have fun?"

"Yeah. We jus' woke up. I got your teks message. I wanted to ask yous somethin'....what was iii.......oh...wouldya mind if we sstayed another nigh'?"

Cameron had to contain her laughter, "not at all. You guys have fun, okay? When will you be back?"

"Probaly Monday atthe latess'.....kay?"

"Yes ma'am. I'll let you sleep then. Love you."

"Luvvv...you tooo..." The line went dead. Cameron chuckled, and Jack raised an eyebrow.

"She sounded really hungover. Luckily, they won't be back until Monday. I'm safe..." she sighed with relief. Jack walked over to where Cameron was, and took a seat on the bed himself.

"So," he started, leaning back with his arms folded behind his head, "what do you want to do today?"

"I don't know....work---"

"I don't think so. It was my birthday yesterday, and you were alone because of everyone else. So, I need to make it up to you, okay?"

"I don't----"

"Okay?!"

"Alright! Do I have to decide what we do?" Jack rubbed his chin and jumped up from the bed.

"Well, we can go see a movie."

"Movie theaters are too---"

"This one isn't. That's why it's my favorite. Come with me, and I'll show you." Jack grabbed Cameron's wrist and pulled her off the bed, where she almost tripped on the Playstation II (oh noes...you kill the PS and I KILL YOU!!!!) trying to get on her feet. He managed to drag her all the way to the car, and she remembered that she didn't have a jacket on.

"It's f-freezing!" Jack hesitated, and then said rapidly,

"Get in the car. I'll be right back." Cameron was obliged to do so, quickly cuddling into the seat's minute warmth. Seconds later, Jack had returned with her Nightmare Before Christmas hoodie. He threw it to Cameron once he was inside of the car. She took note of it's appearance and feel.

"It's not wet anymore."

"I put it in the dryer last night after you fell asleep. I hope you don't mind."