Spider...Chapter Two

CHAPTER II (song: Hey Man, Nice Shot)

Cameron followed a monstrosity of a student body to the cafeteria after her first four classes, minus the one she skipped. Once inside, she decided to wait in line, though she didn't plan to get anything. Her goal was to waste time so she could see which tables were left after the majority of kids got their lunches. Cameron trudged through the line, getting some stares from the crowd of students in front of her. As far as she could tell, there was no one else like her as this school; she didn't mind.

Once the stares became a little uncomfortable from a smaller kid, who was probably a freshman, Cameron whispered, "I hope you expect me to tear your eyes out, buddy. Otherwise, quit." The kid, now frightened, turned slowly, and Cameron chuckled darkly with content as the line eased forward. When she examined the lunch room, she noticed that the walls were a normal beige, though artwork for the outside campus could be seen as a mural on one wall. Also, the lunch room itself didn't smell bad; rather, it smelled like cinnamon apples. She inhaled the scent, filling her lungs so that it would, somehow, fill up her empty stomach.

The line was gone now, and Cameron eased her way out into the dining area again---luckily---found two empty tables near the corner that seperated the cafeteria from the double doors. She took her pick and sat down nearest the wall, taking out an assignment from one of her earlier classes. Not even a moment later, she felt someone slide their way into the seat diagonal to her and lean their arms on the table. Slowly, Cameron looked up. It was a boy, who looked about her age or a year older, and who bit down on an apple.

"Thup," he said as he chewed.

"Not thoo muth," she mocked. He just laughed, and--lucky for her---swallowed. 'Good,' she thought, 'this means that he won't spit it on me.'

"So, you're new here, right?" he took another bite of his apple.

"No," she said sarcastically, "I've been here the whole time. Your eyes must be poor, so maybe you didn't notice me before."

He laughed in mock amusement, "I wasn't asking to get an answer. It was a rhetorical question. My name is Jack. You?"

"...Amelia." Cameron kept a serious expression on her face so as to not give herself away; however, a slight uplifting of the side of her mouth might have given her away upon close examination.

"No it's not. It's Cameron. There's someone I know who knows you from a few years ago."

"Then why the hell did you ask me?" Cameron was a little shocked that he knew her name, but nevertheless huffed at him.

He snickered, "I don't know. I guess I had a hunch that you would try and trick me. And I was right."

"Listen," she tried to change the subject, "why don't you go eat lunch with your friends before people think you're trying to make a new one."

"Pushy. Maybe I am." He was silent, looking at Cameron with curious eyes. She noticed, on some odd note, that his eyes were a fierce blue. She checked the rest of his features: definitely Caucasian...not that full lips, sculpted nose, jaw, and cheekbones, no facial hair, and straight black hair that hung to a few centimeters below the chin under a beanie. It was odd that she noticed the beanie just now, for a teacher---or paraprofessional---came by and knocked it off his head. "Not gonna tell you again, Mercer. Next time I see you with it on, I'm super gluing it to your head."

"Sure you are," Jack prodded before turning back to Cameron. He carefully replaced the beanie on his head, smoothing out his messed up hair. "Where was I?"

"Leaving..?" Cameron asked hopefully.

"Ha ha. I don't think so. So, listen. You interested in making any friends on your first day?"