xvi. the secret bus hideout

Start from the beginning

"Department of energy? What do you think that means?" Via asked, a confused look on her face.

"G-G-Government. Military." Eva shrugged. Realistically, she wasn't completely sure, but 'Department' was very government-y.

"Then why does it say energy?" Dustin deadpanned, almost tiredly.

"Trust Eva okay, our dad's told us that before," Mike affirmed, looking at Eva. Honestly, Eva didn't remember that at all, but she appreciated the agreement.

"They're right. There's soilders out front here." Lucas pointed along the edge of the building.

"Do they make like, lightbulbs or something?" Via almost snorted.

"No, weapons." Mike rejected, looking at her with a slight irritated tone, "to fight the Russians in comies and stuff."

"Weapons..." Lucas trailed off, each of them taking a quick glance at Eleven and at each other.

"This— Th— This is bad! A—A—Awful!" Eva put a hand to her forehead. How were they ever going to recover Will and Tori in these conditions? How were a group of children going to figure this out?!

"Really bad," Lucas repeated, "the place is like a fortress."

"I mean, El managed to get out... Surely we can get back in?" Via inquired, despite feeling very unhopeful. Logically, that made sense to her, but she was no more hopeful than the rest of them.

"Yeah, but they would've increased because of that, wouldn't they?" Lucas pointed out, making her sigh.

"Well, what do we do?" the panic in Dustin's voice raising a little.

"I don't know, but we can't go home, we're fugitives now," Mike specified, making them all nod breifly too.

"G—Guys?" Dustin stuttered, "do you hear that?"

A sound that had been growing louder and louder by the second finally reached the centre of their attention. All of their eyes flashed up to look at the source of the intimating sound, and to their horror, a low rised helicopter began to show itself through the clouds. Each of them jumped to their tired feet, hiding their bikes as fast as possible, not leaving a trace of presence.

The boy, Via and El scrambled inside the bus and Eva quickly kicked apart the demonstration Lucas had made. Slamming the door shut, they took cover in between seats of the bus.

Eva felt like her heart hadn't caught a break. Even after being sat quietly for at least half an hour, her heart was still racing in her chest. She couldn't stop thinking about how they could be taken off to jail or something any moment, if the bad-men found them.

El was tired, but recovering. She'd been so scared for them all, but even more so Eva. She'd grown an attachment to Eva, the only one who hadn't treated her differently at all since she had arrived in their lives. She looked over at her, giving her a gentle smile. She could feel the anxiety radiating off Eva.

"Mike? are you there? Mike?"

The group jumped. Their heads snapped up at the sound of Nancy's voice echoing from Mike's supercomm, which had been laying dormant in his backpack since their escape. Mike had almost forgetting it was there in the first place.

"You guys hear that?" Dustin asked.

"Mike, it's me, Nancy. is Eva with you?"

Mike jumped to his backpack, unzipping it quickly and all of the party gathered around it, listening to Nancy's steady voice, yet laced with indescribable concern.

"Mike are you there? Answer."

"Mike we need you to answer."

"Is that your sister?" Via asked unbelievingly.

"This is an emergency, Mike! Do you copy?"

"Mike, do you copy?"

"Okay this is really weird..." Dustin admitted. Lucas went to snatch the supercomm to answer.

"Don't answer!" Mike told him.

"She said it was an emergency," Lucas pointed out as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"What if it's a trick? What if the badmen kidnapped her and are forcing her to say this?" Mike explained.

"H—How would they h-h-have Will's superc-comm? It has to be his because you have y-yours," Eva suggested.

"They could've raided his house!" Mike replied.

"I need you to answer!"

"Like Lando Calarissian... Don't answer!" Dustin agreed, thinking of the Star Wars character betraying Han Solo.

"We need to know if you're there, Mike."

"Listen, kid, this is the chief. If you're there pick up! We know you're in trouble and we know about the girl."

"Why is she with the cheif?" Lucas said slowly.

"How the hell does he know about. . ." Via cautioned, looking at Eleven.

"We can protect you, we can help you, but you gotta pick up. are you there? Do you copy? Over!"

"What if it's a trick?" Dustin repeated again. The group couldn't make an opinion. It was all too much. They looked to Mike, hoping he would decide.

"Yeah, I copy. it's Mike. I'm here. . . We're here,"

1.2k words

oh hey! hey.. how y'all doing

welp, i'm back! since my last update, I finished my exams, got my a level results, and moved away to university... so a lot has changed!!

i say this constantly, but i do plan to get more updates out. i just struggle with the motivation and procrastination because season 1 stranger things is less exciting for me to write. however, i will push through

i'm not sure how many people still care about this book.. but oh well! i will still write

also.. do we have any shameless/lip gallagher fans here? oh my GOD i'm so obsessed. he makes my lesbian identity shake