vi. Danger, danger

( stranger things, season one )

the weirdo on maple street

˗ˏˋ Chapter Six: Danger, danger ˎˊ˗

Don't touch her!

"This is M-M-Mike's room which is k-kind of boring a-and gross. He never lets m-m-m-me in here," Eva said as she pushed his bedroom door open for them to step inside. She watched as El slowly walked around, taking in the surroundings. His room was much tidier than Eva's messy one. El stopped at his little display of photos.

"You," El pointed. On the wall, there was a picture of Mike and Eva stood next to each other on her first day of elementary school.  It was a long time before the two began to resent one another as siblings.

"Yeah, I was f-f-five then, Mike was six," Eva explained, putting her hands on her knees to take a look at some of the other pictures. It was the only one with her in, clearly showing how much Mike spent time with her. The photograph was likely only there because mom insisted. She liked to think all of them loved each other like siblings are supposed to.

"El," Eva went to say El's name, standing up straight to look at her, only El had her eyes fixed on a picture, "El?"

El pointed at someone in the photo: Will. Eva's eyebrows furrowed in the heavy silence between them, "Th-th-that's Will... Do you- Do you know h-him?"

Suddenly, the loud sound of a ringing phone threw the two girls away from where they were, stunned out of their skin. Eva thrown she hardly remembered to run and answer the phone in her room.

When Eva picked up the phone, Via's loud voice instantly shot out of the speaker. Via's voice was so loud she could hold the phone at arm's length and still understand what she said, "Where the fuck are you?! Leaving me with Amelia's little group. I'm telling you, every time I force my popular girl voice, a fairy dies--"

"Oh, quit c-c-complaining. You're a-a-alive, aren't y-you?" Eva rolled her eyes while listening to Via complain down the school telephone. Her heart was still beating in her chest from the jump the ringing had given her. She ran a hand through her hair, "th-that doesn't m-m-m-matter anyway, d-did Tori sh-show up t-today?"

"What do you think? I'm telling you, something's happened," Via's voice lowered as she spoke, trying not to draw attention from other students who were oblivious to their conversation, "I think we should tell the cops."

"I don't know, I th-think... I think the girl we f-found, El, might know s-s-something," Eva replied.

"What makes you say that?" Via asked slowly, almost sounding frightened.