seventeen

It was late. Hermione was staying at Draco's, and they were lying on the couch. A movie was playing, but neither of them were watching it.

"Draco," Hermione said quietly. He looked at her, eyebrow raised.

"Yeah?"

"I love you. Okay? The stuff that I said under the potion was all lies."

Draco didn't say anything for a moment, because one, he had been worrying about that and she basically read his mind, and two Hermione Granger loved him what was he supposed to do I-

"I love you too," he said, eyes intent on hers. The light that she loved so much was burning behind them. "More than anything in the world."

Hermione smiled gently and put her head on his shoulder, and they were content.

- one year later -

"My love!" Draco called in a singsong voice. Hermione gave him a look, putting her book down on her lap. "What's wrong with you?"

"That's quite rude."

"You never sing."

"That is true. I'm very tired," he said with a dramatic groan, plopping down on the couch beside her. She giggled despite herself, and shoved him over so that she would have more space. "Draco."

"Hermione."

"Draco."

"I love it when you say my name," he said sleepily, eyes half-open. She laughed. "Okay."

"Almost as much as I love you," he said, cracking one eye open. She raised her eyebrows.

It had been maybe a year since that night when Ron spiked her drink with Love Potion. She had gotten a restraining order against him, and she had lived blissfully Ron-free for a whole year. Pansy had gotten married, and Ginny had decided to retire her side business of wedding planning after that whole ordeal.

"Do you," she said mildly, opening up her book again.

"Yes, I do," he said seriously, sitting up to face her. "Hermione, I love you."

She looked back at him, closing her book and holding his gaze, both of his hands twined with hers. "I love you too."

He beamed, bright and happy, and she couldn't help but smile back.

fin.