Chapter Five

It was easy enough to get Lincoln into a room alone with them. Pose as a patient, draw up some fake papers, have Daisy wait on a bed behind a drawn curtain, Mack and Asia stand in the shadows to shut the door after the doctor entered, dressed in blue scrubs and a white lab coat. And that's exactly what they did. By the looks of things, Lincoln wasn't super pleased about the whole thing. He looked over at Mack first, as he shut the door tightly, a look of anger flashing in his gaze. When his eyes fell on Asia...disappointment. Like he couldn't believe that Asia Monroe, of all people, was here to interrogate him.

The weight of the disappointment was like a slap to the face for Asia, and she looked away, down at her feet, ashamed. She didn't like the idea of making Lincoln disappointed. She liked the guy, she really did. This was just the job. And frankly, if he had made himself a little easier to contact, they probably wouldn't be here right now. At least, that's what she told herself, that made his shameful gaze a little more bearable.

So she stood back, leaning against the wall, watching as Daisy tried to get him to understand how dire their situation really was. Asia nodded along as her friend explained how amazing Lincoln was at helping new Inhumans transition, helping them understand their complete potential and realize that what happened to them was a gift, not a curse. "She's right," Asia said, after Daisy said something about how he had made her feel like she still had a life. "You helped me, too. You can help others." The two locked eyes for a moment, and she stared until he looked away. She didn't want him thinking she wasn't being honest.

"That's bullshit and you both know it," Lincoln said, defeatedly. "You both know I was just regurgitating a lie, one that had been shoved down my throat since I was born. What we are, what we do. It's a curse." Daisy's eyes widened a little in shock, but Asia noted she kept almost all of the emotion off of her face. "You, Daisy, of all people should understand that."

Asia bowed her head, holding onto one of her arms uncomfortably as Daisy tried to win him back. She knew this was hurting her friend in more ways than one. She almost felt...invasive...hearing this conversation go on.

Suddenly, Mack had his hand on Lincoln's upper arm and Lincoln was shoving him away. Asia took a step forward, defensively, her feet sliding into a strong stance, ready to freeze anyone's feet in place if she had to. The air in room had grown palpably tense, and she wasn't sure if it was from the encounter or from Lincoln's powers. Either way, the hairs along her arms were standing on edge.

"You know what I'm capable of," Lincoln said, taking a step towards Mack so the two men were practically toe to toe, nose to nose. "You've seen what I can do."

"I'm not afraid of you," Mack replied evenly. Asia didn't like the idea of where this was going. It sounded bad. The kind of bad where not everyone made it out of this room completely uninjured.

"Maybe you should be," Lincoln said, the words coming out as a suggestion but more heavily tainted as a threat. Suddenly, the room went black for a moment, before the lights above them started to flicker rapidly, on and off and on again.

Daisy looked over to Asia and the two women locked eyes for a moment. "Woah, woah, Lincoln," Daisy started to say, as Asia took another step closer to the two men.

"You need to cool down," Asia said calmly, trying to get Lincoln to look at her. All ice jokes aside, he needed to stop whatever he was doing. His anger was affecting the entire hospital, which meant it was affecting all of the patients as well.

Lincoln glanced back at Daisy, then over at Asia, shaking his head as the lights continued to flicker, until the room fell completely into an eerie darkness. "This...this isn't me," he pushed past Mack, heading towards the door. Asia turned quickly, following him out.