"What about death?" Everyone turned to look at Marlena, a barrister who was always in the news for handling dramatic cases. "My dad died last year, and he was only 53. Are you telling me I'm supposed to be happy when he's gone?"

Her voice choked on the last word, and my heart flew out to her. Joe shook his head. "Death is a topic for another day, but I will say that some cultures celebrate life, rather than mourning the passing of a loved one. Do you believe your father would want you to be forever miserable over his passing?"

She shook her head, tears rolling down her high cheekbones and onto her bare knees, tucked into her chest. "But I miss him so much."

"Everyone has their own beliefs when it comes to death, but I'll share mine. You are not your body. You are not your thoughts. You are not your actions. You are a spirit, and your soul cannot be destroyed." He crouched down and placed a gentle hand on Marlena's shoulder. "Nobody ever really dies."

I watched as others crowded forward to offer Marlena comfort. I wasn't sure about my own views on the afterlife, but the idea of attachment certainly resonated with me. My entire life, I'd been chasing a moving finishing line, convincing myself that when I finally lost ten kilos, or landed the perfect man, or saved enough in the bank, I'd be happy. In that moment on the beach, I took a deep breath and accepted the idea that I could be happy, just me as I was, all on my own.

As the lecture wound up, Joe came over to where we sat. "Ladies, as it is your final night with us, I'd like to invite you to stay back after tonight's yoga session for a blessing."

"What does that involve?" I asked.

"I've spent many years working with people's potential, and one of my gifts is the ability to speak out over the lives of others." His beatific face was open and honest. "I will lay my hands on you both, and you will receive my blessing; a word about the future, your present or your past."

I'd never been interested in seeing a psychic or reading my horoscope, but I trusted Joe. Patty had told me all about his background, studying meditation in India, working with healers from every walk of life, and his gifts of perception and foresight. "I'd really like that," I responded.

"Count me in!" said Heather, buzzing with excitement and open to the universe as always.

***

After the evening hot yoga session, those of us who were due to leave the next day hung back, sitting cross-legged on our mats in the warm, dark space.

I tried to concentrate on my meditation and breathing while listening to Joe murmuring to the other people around me, but there were burbles of nervousness inside my belly.

Finally, Joe moved behind me, laying one large hand on my shoulder, and the other on my head. "Evianna," he said, his deep voice vibrating through me, "you are a woman of strength and influence."

With only a few words, I found myself emotional, tears I couldn't help flowing from under my closed eyelids.

"You will change the world, in ways you can't begin to imagine. Your impact will spread around this country, then across the globe, altering lives for the better. Your words, who you are, will touch millions. Like a renewing fire, you will inspire a generation to betterment and bring peace and love into countless lives.

"And you will do all of this, not through miracles or grand stunts, but by the simple choices you make, every day. By simply being you, Evianna, the glorious spirit you were meant to be, you will shine like a beacon of hope. Embrace your light."

I wept, allowing his words to wash over me.

"Even when hard times come, even when you might fell you cannot endure, you will rise above like the phoenix, and all who see you will be ignited by your glow. Remember your divine nature, remember that you are complete and whole, regardless of the world around you. Remember these words, every day."