broken glass

Seven Years Later

"Remilie! Pass the booze why don'tcha?" The scraggly old man to my right shouted as he slammed his cup back down on the bar with a haste like no other.

Chills lead through my chest as I held the bottle of alcohol away from the drunken man. Watching him seriously, I giggled on the inside. His wife will be hearing about this.

"I will not. You've reached your limit." He opened his mouth to argue but before he could speak I interrupted sternly like a mother scolding her child. "Don't even think about about arguing, Tom. I will call your wife like I did last time."

A collection of responses sounded from the rest of the bar customers. This reaction was something I had been accustomed to so I continued pouring shots and doing my job with disinterest.

"Oh come on! Let the old guy have his fun." My long time best friend, Adam sounded behind me. I turned and glared at him. He had no clue what he just started.

"Who you calling old man?" Tom shouted with raised fists.

Oh no.

Deja vu hit me when I remembered the last time someone called drunken Tom old. It resulted in a couple law suits and a scary amount of feathers in my bar. That day I lost my dignity. With that, I nearly lost my job too.

Tom's wobbly legs left the bar stool as he hoisted himself up.

Watching Adam's eyes widen like saucers was one of the funniest things I could've witnessed. Adam was a bulky guy. With short brown hair, deep brown eyes, and his big pink lips he was a sight I didn't mind seeing everyday. He backed away from the bar as Tom began cornering him.

"You don't get to call me old! The disrespect of these children baffles me! Do you know where I was when your mother was pregnant with you? The war! I fought for the future of our country so that kids like you could live good!"

God bless America.

By the time Tom had finished his rant he began tossing around empty shot glasses much to my worry. This was why I was supposed to call his wife before he got too drunk.

Judy would be so dissapointed in her husband right now.

I contemplated calling her but the thought was cut off when a glass came hurling towards my face. A squeal left my mouth and I ducked under the sleek wood of the bar counter.

Throughout this situation Adam kept muttering his apologies and shrieked as shot glasses were thrown around.

As I stood in shock, the dim lights of the bar went all the way on leaving everyone blinking in confusion. The loud chatter throughout the building diluted and was replaced by confusion. Whispers and sounds of glass crunching echoed through the room.

My stomach dropped when I took note of this being the most silent the bar has ever been.

The steps crunching through glass got even closer and even Tom halted in his movements to look at the interruption.

Before us stood a large man with a small scar lacing right under his ear. His head was shaved into a buzz cut making him look a bit more intimidating than I expected when I caught his gaze. The rest of the average people around him looked short in comparison to his 6'7ish build.

Something about him made me feel uneasy. I gulped when he got even closer.

"This is a bar not an anger support group." The man stated loudly then looked down to me. "The new boss won't be happy with this. Follow me."

The way he spoke reeked attitude and I grimaced.

What a douche.

Regardless of my thoughts, I followed after the hulk and raced out of the silent room that seemed to pick up pace once the door was closed.