Chapter 10: THE FEELING OF WANTING

“Kenny.” She called her manager. “I’m just going to have dinner with Phillip, is that okay with you?”

“Phoebs. Come here!” Kendall said.  “We need to discuss something.”

“Yes?” Phoebe asked. “What’s the matter?”

“Our conversation a while ago, are we continuing with that?” He asked her. “Have you talked to Phillip’s manager and publicist?”

“Is PP in the know already?” She asked them. “Coz he asked me to have dinner with him.”

“Go ahead, Jay. I’m taking care of it.” Phoebe answered.

“Oh so he knows.”

She got frustrated. She thought he asked her because he really wanted to be with her but apparently, it was all just for publicity purposes.

“Have fun. Put on a good show! We need this to be big.” Kendall said.  “Jay, this is a show not reality, okay?”

“Yup! I know.”

“You better.”

She had to drag herself back to Phillip. After her conversation with Kendall and Phoebe, she did not feel like eating dinner with him anymore. What a user. They both needed each other though, so she had no choice but to act the part.

Phillip tried to ease the tension by telling jokes but she was not having any of it. She knew his intentions. This was part of the game so she played along.

“You ready?” He asked.

The hell I am. “As long as you are.” She replied. She tried to be as sweet as possible.

His hands were big and strong. She loved the texture too. But she felt sick to her stomach because she knew they were both just faking the emotions. Why can there never be anything real between them? Why can’t they just be together?

As expected, a huge crowd of paparazzi was waiting for them to exit. The flashing lights blinded her but Phillip was quick to hold her and help her escape the maddening sounds of cameras flashing and men shouting.

He led her to his car. His old Ford was gone; he was now driving a shiny chrome-colored BMW. She was surprised.

“Nice car.” She said.

“It was a gift from my record label. Nice, huh?” Phillip said, smiling.

“Yeah, and it suits you too. The car is sexy!” She was not lying, it really suited him. What a way to step up his game. And celebrity profile.

“Sexy?” He raised an eyebrow.  “Like me?”

As if! “Definitely like you, cutie.” She replied. She smiled sweetly.

Phillip laughed and put his arm around her shoulder. “Get in already will ya? The paps will start hounding us again!”

They drove away immediately from the hotel parking. Phillip went through a secret exit so they weren’t spotted by the paparazzi.

“Alone at last.” Phillip said. He held her hand.  

“Phillip - ” She started.

“Where do you want to eat? A lot of people should see us together.” He said.

“Yeah I’m sure you’d want that.” She said. The more people, the more attention. That was what he was tasked to do by his manager and staff anyway.

“Of course I’d want that. I want the whole world to know we’re together.” He laughed. “It’s so funny that this is happening, right? I can’t believe it.” He made a left turn.