Chapter 3.a (Phillip's POV): IN A DIFFERENT LIGHT

Standing ovation. It was a stage production and he was at the center of it all! People were going crazy! Everyone, well most… except for her.

He exited the stage but worried he might have looked ungrateful for the support. He was thankful to everyone who stood up but his eyes were fixated on Jessica. “She didn’t like it,” he thought. He should not really care, she was just one person. But he was done lying to himself.

The press was going crazy! “PHILLIP!” “PHILLIP PHILLIPS!” “How do you feel?” “Phillip your thoughts on the performance?” they were all saying at the same time. He just gathered what he could and answered, “It’s good to be performing for y’all again. And I’m grateful and shocked by the huge support of the music industry. Thank you. Have a great night everybody,” he said trying to be as enthusiastic as possible. He did not entertain anymore follow up questions and walked directly to his dressing room.

He headed to row six after changing to his suit. This was his first time in the Grammys. He was trying to live in the moment and absorb his newfound success but it seemed empty. Why couldn’t thousands of people fill in the void of Jessica’s reaction?

“Phillip, bro!” another familiar voice shouted out. There were lots of familiar voices tonight. But he knew exactly who it was.

“Hey Colton.” he replied coldly. He missed the guy but he felt betrayed that he didn’t even bother to contact him after the show.

“Jessica is killing it right?” he said excitedly, “How is Hannah?”

“She definitely is. Uh, Hannah?” His mind suddenly traveled back to the past…

-Flashback-

It’s Hannah again. I missed her last 5 calls, I was too sleepy to answer but… “Hey, Han.” I greeted her.

“Phillip why haven’t you been returning my calls? Is something going on? If you are busy with your girls just tell me!” she replied accusingly.

“What are you talking about? I was just resting.”

“What, with Elise? With Hollie? With your mob of fangirls? With that Jessica?”

“What are you talking about?”

“I’m on to you, Phillip. Update me from now on. Update me every freakin’ minute.” She hung up.

 I was confused. Why was Hannah acting this way? She used to be the most supportive girl but lately she seemed clingy and overprotective. Was something happening that I wasn’t fully aware of? Fame was definitely taking a toll on our relationship.

It was August four. We were on our way to Georgia for the tour. And it was Jessica’s birthday. During my free time in Florida, I looked around for a perfect gift for her. Flowers would wither and die, food was overrated and stuffed toys were too childish. Wow, I am bad at this. The only girl I’ve given gifts to was Hannah and I’d usually only sing a song to her. Sing a song to Jessica? Real funny. I’d rather have HER sing the song.

It had to be something meaningful. We were close already anyway, I think. And I just wanted to give my finale buddy a gift on her special day. Funny, I never really expected to be close to her.

Jess and I had to work on our friendship. She was so quiet; she didn’t really talk to anyone but the girls and DeAndre. Colton was a bit close to her too. Colton was close to everyone anyway. She wasn’t that kind of girl who talked to everybody. But she acted even shyer around me. Either that or she just didn’t like me. But somehow because of her studies and my stomach pains we had to ride home together, we had to leave earlier. She was quiet and it was getting awkward so I had to break the ice by joking around with her. She warmed up after a while and we just started talking and talking. She was actually a pretty sweet girl. And her speaking voice was just as lovely as her singing voice. And she just laughs at everything. It was cute hearing her giggle…