Chapter 5: THE ROAD TO UNDERSTANDING

Depuis le début

After the last song, the crowd started cheering “PHILJESS! PHILJESS!” It was getting louder and louder…

“Philjess. What a funny name.” Jessica told me, giggling.

“Yeah. Guess we’re a hit, eh?” I replied, jokingly, touching her arms with my elbows.

“Phillip and Jessica, mind if you sing another song for the audience?” a production staff asked us.

“Phillip needs to rest. Maybe Jessica and Colton can just do one. Or Dre, since they sorta performed one during Vegas week.” Hannah responded flatly.

What was wrong with her?

I looked at her angrily and replied, “No. Of course I’ll do a song with Jess. Anything for the fans.”

Hannah shot me a look that could kill. I ignored it.

“What do you say, Jess?” I asked Jessica.

She just gave me a weak smile and headed for the stage. I followed her.

PHILJESS! PHILJESS! The crowd was getting excited. The sight of us made them wilder! PHIJESS! PHILJESS! PHILJESS! PHILJESS!

Our duet during the finale started playing.

Everyone fell silent. I suddenly felt nervous, and I think she saw it on my face. She looked at me and gave me a slight nod, as a sign of assurance that she would be there to back me up. Just knowing that she was there for me was enough to help me conquer my fear. Then suddenly, we just started to sing staring directly into each other’s eyes, breathing in the moment and just allowing ourselves to get lost in lyrics of the song. I’ve never sung a song that touched my heart this way; I felt it beating in rhythm with the subtle drumbeats. She really makes me a better singer, I’ve never sung a song that relied heavily on pure emotion but I pulled it off. Thanks to her.

By the end of the song I couldn’t resist to wrap her in my arms. I adored her talent so much. I adored her stage presence. I adored how loved she was. She was an amazing person and I was so lucky to have been given the opportunity to share the stage with her. This was the last time we’ll ever be together before we head down different career paths. Before that happened, I wanted her to know exactly how significant she was in my life.

“I will miss you, Jess.” I whispered to her ear, “you just don’t know how important you’ve been to me.”

She said nothing, but she embraced me tighter.

When we finally let go, I saw her smiling with tears flowing from her eyes. She embraced me again and I felt her kiss my cheek. Her lips were soft. I suddenly thought of how it would feel in my lips. I immediately shook my head to let go of those thoughts. She was a minor; I could get arrested just by thinking that.

“Thank you so much, everybody!” Jessica shouted to the fans. “Maraming salamat, kababayan! We all hope to see you again soon! Thank you for supporting American Idol! WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH!”

The fans went crazy! They were shouting all the different names of the contestants. There was so much love for us. I just stared at her and followed the curves of her body, she was thin but she still had a tight figure. Phillip, stop it! Why this sudden attraction to a girl you’ve always considered your little sister?

I tried to look away but I could not. My eyes were resisting the instructions of my brain. The contestants suddenly rushed onto the stage to greet the fans one last time. Thank god for that distraction. Heejun hit my head jokingly and winked at me. Did he see what I was doing? We sang another encore song, thanked them and left the stage.