chapter eight

{   CHAPTER EIGHT , DID YOU REALLY JUST FLIP HIM OFF?   }

{ CHAPTER EIGHT , DID YOU REALLY JUST FLIP HIM OFF? }

"I LOVE BEING YOUR personal doorman, really! Could you idiots taken any longer?" Richie exclaimed as he biked around his friends in a circle. Blake just kept her head down, replaying the scene over and over again: the way Bev stood so close to Bill, the rosy cheeks she and him had painted on themselves, the way Bill's hand was eager to hold Bev's in his, and the way that night Bev's lips were so close to hers. She had not listened to the conversation floating behind her until she noticed everyone stopping.

   "A clown." Those words had her struck in a daze; the clown. Blake had not told anybody about her dream from many nights ago (or the quarry incident), she had pushed those thoughts aside thinking it was from a horror movie she had watched when she was younger. "Yeah, I saw it too."

Catching Bill's eyes, she slightly nodded, letting him know that she had saw the clown as well.

"Wait," Richie said, breaking the fear ridden silence that struck over the group. "Can only virgins see this stuff? Is that why I'm not seeing this shit?" Quickly hiding her laugh, Blake slapped Richie's arm, giving him the signal of Not-A-Great-Time-Richard!

"Wait, guys," the group turned their eyes to where Blake was pointing at, and where the yelling came from. "Isn't that Belch's car, and—"
"Yeah, we, we should probably get out of here," Eddie said quickly, already getting ready to get back on his bike, but stopped once he noticed his friends weren't mirroring his actions.

"But isn't that the homeschool kids bike?" Bill asked. Eddie was quick to answer as he thought the quicker they talked, the faster they could leave.
"Yeah that's Mike's."

"We have to help him," Beverly inquired. Blake smiled; she had always loved her empathy for others.
"We should?" Richie asked.
"Yes!"

Everybody dropped their bike—except Stan of course—and the group made their way over to the yelling and what Blake hoped for, a new friend. Stopping at the other side of the creek, Beverly threw a rock at Henry and his goons, to get them to stop abusing Mike.

Blake didn't pay any attention to the conversation happening until she was pushed behind Richie, him standing confidently in front of her.
"Rich, I don't need a bodyguar—"
But she was quickly cut off with Richie yelling, "rock war!" Even with his confidence radiating as always, it was quickly shot down with his body as a rock hit his head, taking Blake down with him.

"Richard! Maybe you're the one who needs the bodyguard!" Blake yelled as she got up and followed her friends actions, picking up and throwing rocks like a broken record. After Victor and Belch ran off, the broken record had come to a halt. Blake glanced back at Richie, immediately noticing the blood spotted on his forehead. She turned to leave with the rest of the group but when she noticed Richie wasn't with her, she turned back around.

"Rich, c'mon." He glanced back at her before facing Henry again.

"Go blow your dad you mullet-wearing asshole!" Richie yelled, flipping him off in the process.

"Rich, did you really just flip him off?" Blake asked as the two caught up to their friends.
"I mean, he kinda deserved it Goldie."

"OH GIRLS, they wanna have fun!" Blake sang, stopping to pop a sweet tart in her mouth. She turned towards Richie to see what magazine he had picked up. "Mr. Tozier, may I have this dance?" His eyes lifted from the magazine, glancing at Blake as she held out her hand and smirked.
"Of course m'lady!" And so, the two danced their night away, laughing until their ribs got tough and eating so my candy until they had to brush their teeth.

Beverly, on the other hand was missing the sleepovers Blake and her would have. Picking up her phone, she dialed Blake's number.

"Hello?" Carolyn answered.
"Hi! This is Beverly, I was wondering if I could speak to Blake?"
"Um, she's actually busy right now; she has a friend over. Maybe try calling tomorrow?"
"Really? What friend?"
"I don't remember what his name was exactly—"

"Oh," Bev said, sounding disappointed. "Well, have a good rest of your night Mrs. McCoy! Bye."
With that, Bev hung up, the thoughts of Blake's mysterious boyfriend lingering in her mind.