Chapter 16: Questions

Start from the beginning

She had not been completely alone in the room that night. Draco was the unexpected ally she never knew she had. Discovering that, her view of him immediately shifted. He was no longer the boy she loathed all her life, but instead, a broken man just as trapped as she was.

When she asked him why he'd done it, she'd seen real pain in his eyes. And she couldn't explain it, but instantly, she knew they needed each other. They both were searching for comfort and, perhaps, deliverance.

That's why, when Draco's lips had found hers, she hadn't pushed him away. Oddly enough, it felt right. She'd returned his fervor to find that what should have felt like a serious lapse in judgement, instead, felt like renewal.

Draco's kiss had been perfect, although she cringed admitting it to herself. While it had started out almost frantic, when Hermione had responded, Draco had firmly but tenderly made her feel truly alive. It had been intoxicating in a way she'd never experienced before.

What scared her most was, if the guards hadn't interrupted them, she wasn't sure she would have ever wanted to stop kissing him.

A knock on her door interrupted her troubled mind.

"Come in," she said automatically.

The door cracked open and Harry poked his head in. "Can you talk now?"

"Of course." She said, feeling guilty, sure he would somehow know what just happened between her and Draco.

Harry sat down in the chair across from her and took a deep breath. "I've been thinking a lot about what you said and . . . I decided I'll do it. I'll testify for Draco Malfoy."

"Really?" Hermione looked at him in surprise. "Are you sure?"

Harry nodded. "I wasn't at first, but . . . I talked to him the other day."

"You did? Why?"

"He requested to meet with an Auror. To let us know that Dolohov threatened you. Malfoy didn't specifically say it, but he seemed genuinely worried about you."

"Oh, honestly!" Hermione felt her face flush, and she wasn't sure if she should be annoyed or flattered by Draco's concern. "I'm sure it's an empty threat."

"Probably. But I'm going to have a few Aurors periodically checking your place just to be safe. And let me or one of your other friends go with you if you need to go out at night."

"I can take care of myself, Harry," Hermione said.

"I know, but Malfoy does have a lot of enemies and one of them could come after you . . . It doesn't hurt to be careful. I'm just relieved Malfoy had the good sense to let the Auror Department know what Dolohov said."

"Fine." Hermione let out an agitated breath. "Do your checks, and I promise I'll be extra cautious."

"Good." Harry leaned back in his chair. "I'm glad you're being reasonable."

Hermione narrowed her eyes. "It's not like I have much choice with you and Malfoy ganging up on me."

Harry gave a short laugh. "Yeah, I didn't see that coming . . . Who'd have thought we'd ever agree on something?"

"My heroes . . ." Hermione rolled her eyes, then turned serious. "So, you're really going to testify for him?"

Harry nodded. "I trust you. If you honestly think he deserves a second chance, then I'll share what I know if you think it will help."

"It will." Hermione was certain of that.

"Okay, just let me know what you need from me . . . but let me tell Ron. He's going to be furious."

Hermione swallowed, knowing it was true. She felt a new wave of guilt sweep over her. And then it hit her.

She should no longer be Draco Malfoy's Inquisitor. Not after what just happened between them and the rise of her new confusing feelings. She should tell Shacklebolt immediately and remove herself from the case.

But if she did that, Harry would want to know why. She'd have to tell him, and he'd be irate. He'd never testify for Draco then. That fact, combined with the sorry excuse of a new Defense Inquisitor he'd be assigned, meant Draco would almost certainly be sentenced. Especially with Cormac McLaggen acting as Prosecuting Inquisitor. Draco wouldn't stand a chance.

"Are you okay?" Harry eyed her.

"Yes, I'm fine," Hermione quickly assured him. "I've just had a very busy day. But that's great news. It will really help his case. All you need to do is tell the truth."

"If you're sure . . ."

"Yes, I am. Thank you, Harry. Trust me, Malfoy has changed."

Harry stood up and headed for the door. "It's hard to believe. . ." He shook his head. "He has no idea how lucky he is to have you as his Inquisitor."

Hermione smiled weakly as Harry headed out the door.

When he was gone, she sighed, but resolutely pushed herself out of her chair to grab her files and continue working.

She would not take herself off Draco Malfoy's case. To do so would ruin everything she'd worked so hard for and mean an almost definite conviction for him.

She just needed to forget about what had happened between them today. And she could. Whatever she was feeling for him was inconsequential. Anything more than a professional relationship could never exist.

Pushing all other thoughts from her mind, Hermione was certain of two things.

Draco Malfoy deserved a second chance, and she was the only one who could give it to him. 

***

A/N: Thank you again to everyone who has stuck with this story. Your votes and comments mean the world to me! Next chapter, Draco and Hermione meet again. I will post the Chapter Preview right away! Links in bio or search the following:

Facebook: CeceLouiseAuthor
Twitter: CeceLAuthor
Pinterest: CeceLouiseAuthor (go to Chapter Previews Board)

Defending the Dark (Dramione)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara