An Important First Impressions

Laying in my hospital bed staring at the celling, while daydreaming about things I've never experienced before

Laying in my hospital bed staring at the celling, while daydreaming about things I've never experienced before. That is what I was doing that day, it's what I have been doing for as long as I could remember. It's an extremely depressing existence I know, but unfortunately it's all I got. Quite frankly, I'm glad the hospital could still offer me the comfort of a bed underneath me and a roof above my head. Since I don't have much hope of leaving this place anyway, all I could do now is laid back and enjoy what I have, one boring day at a time......

Oh well, at least this day was a little less boring than the others. If I recall correctly, big changes were happening in the hospital. The number of patients admitted in had suddenly spiked, this create an inappropriate ratio of doctors to patients. The only way to balance out this ratio is to increase the amount of doctors on duty, and thus a flood of new doctors had to come. One thing led to another and what do you know? I'm having a new doctor assigned to me.

"I wonder who my new doctor gonna be? I hope they're nice if they're going to be around me a lot." I mumbled to myself, as if on que I heard footsteps from the hallway which stops at my room's door.

KNOCK KNOCK

"Who is it?" I called out.

"I'm Dr. Hilbert Touya Black, your new assigned doctor from now on. May I come in?" Said the unfamiliar male voice introducing himself, the tone of his voice quiet, almost as if trying to sound calming.

"You may...." I said simply.

The door unlocked as the knob turn, it opened to revealed a strapping young man with soft brown hair and eyes. It's evident that he's around the same age as me.

To say I was surprised would be an understatement, I didn't expect my new doc to be so, well.... Good looking. Not to say that doctors look ugly of course, it's just that none of my previous doctors look anywhere as good appearance wise as him. The fact the he was in his prime youth certainly helps, it honestly made me flushed a little. However, I have to remained calm. He's only doing his job afterall, which was to look after me. None the less, I appreciated how well the young doc presented himself.

The Doc entered and casually placed his binder of medical notes on an empty chair before walking up to my bed.

"Hello Ms. Hilda Touko White, it's a pleasure to meet you" Said the doc smiling, probably doing his best to feel welcoming.

"Just call me Touko, please." I reply coldly, I've never been a fan of formality and with the small space I find myself in for so many years it shows. With me often shortening my answers to other doctors and nurses to a bare minimum.

"Well if that's the case then you could just call me Touya." The doc laughed awkwardly while I just nodded. "Ok, Touko. Hope you don't mind if I do a quick check of your blood pressure and temperatures."

I shrugged, "That's fine by me."

Within a matter of minutes, doctor Touya had everything set up and ready. It's clear that he knew what he was doing despite probably being new to the profession. He checks my blood pressure first before continuing with him checking my temperature.