Twenty Five : Neverland

Začít od začátku

"Hey man!" Calum patted my back on his way to the fridge. "Nothing yet?" he asked.

My face sunk, "No..." I put the phone on the counter and sighed, "Do you think she's mad at me cause I didn't go with her to pick up her brother?"

He chugged a few sips from the carton of milk before answering me, "Nah. She's probably tired and slept in."

My hand began to twitch, "Yeah, maybe." I sighed looking down at my hand, making no effort to control it. I walked over to the living room and plopped myself on the couch next to Michael. "What are you watching?" I asked.

He shrugged, "Nothing really. I can't find anything good on tv." He held the remote out flipping the channels till he came upon the news. "Oh man, a car crash." He stated putting the remote next to him.

We watched for a few seconds. They stated that two people were in the car, they had spun off the road and were taken to the hospital. I wanted to feel bad for them, but as selfish as it sounded all I can think about was Bonnie and why she hasn't picked up her phone.

I stood up from the couch and grabbed the house phone, then headed up stairs to make another attempt. The boys were all down stairs by now so I had the privacy. I felt like crying but I know there has to be a reason why she's not answering. I can almost imagine her laugh in between each ring.

After my third try, I gave up. I sighed and headed back down stairs. To my surprise, the boys were quiet. I chuckled, "Why so quiet? Who died?" I joked.

Michael and Luke sat side by side. There heads bowing and shoulders drooping as if the whole world weighed on their backs. I looked over at Calum behind the kitchen counter. His puppy like eyes with an attempt not to cry.

"Ashton..." Calum began as he walked over to me. "It's Bonnie..."

For some reason I glanced at the tv and sure enough there was Bonnie's and Jim's photo on the screen, they were the two in the accident. I feel like something has crumpled inside me and the pieces are falling in my stomach. My hands began to shake and my knees went weak. It hurts more than anything ever could. I feel like I can't breath, and for a while I actually don't, I feel like my throat has closed up. Like I'm trying to suck air through a straw.

"I have to see her." I managed to say.

---

At the hospital, I tried to avoid eye contact with the whole world, so the boys, Ms. Rose, and I went directly to recipient on the front desk.

"Umm..." I began, but my voice was shaking. " I- I mean we... sort of- well like to-"

Ms. Rose lightly brushed her fingers through my hair and interrupted. "We'd like to see Bonnie Kledga, please."

I felt relief knowing that I didn't have to speak. I felt like the invisible boy again, and oddly I'm okay with that. The woman looked through her data base and smiled sincerely, "Im sorry ma'am, but Bonnie is in critical condition. She can't see anyone at the moment."

I feel like my whole world is crumpling down and I don't want to put it back together again. My hand is twitching like crazy and I know the boys are trying to calm me down cause I can hear there soft whispers in my my ear but I can't make out the words they're saying.

Ms. Rose turns around to face me and the boys, "Get him a cup of water and sit in the waiting room." She told Luke. He nodded and walked over to a keg of water and poured me a cup. Michael and Calum held me by the forearm and sat me down on one of chairs. I couldn't breath. Everyone is trying to talk to me but they're either speaking to fast or to slow. Luke handed me the foam cup and I took a sip.