Ellas Mistake Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Tis been two full weeks before Madeline has allowed me to start to walk. I still had a small limp but Aaron had informed me twas temporary.

I was not mad at Beth, twas not her fault Madeline had heard her say my real name. Twas actually a relief to have Madeline on our side, and despite her young age she was mature, outspoken, and brave. And most of all, she understood my situation and would have agreed I had done the right thing by leaving.

We were presently on the carriage on our way to the Dukes estate, and I could not help but dread on our arrival.

But most of all to see the Duke once again.

I would still blush at the thought of how I had confused Madeline as his bride.

"Do not fret Ella. Trevor will not have a saying in your stay. Tis mine and he has come to terms with it since." Madeline smiled and patted my arm noticing I was fussing on a handkerchief with my fingers twisting it. A habit I had developed since being married to- no, tis time to forget his name will not utter from my thoughts nor lips.

I looked outside as we neared. I still could not help my stomach heavy. I licked my lips nervously. "Perhaps tis not a great idea for my return Madeline, I am not welcomed." I looked back to Madeline who closed her book and sat it aside leaning a bit toward me.

"Ella, please enough, he and you shall not cross paths, my brother leaves a lot on business and I stay home unless I must accompany him to social gatherings and that is not until fall or winter. I promise you will not see him all that much, now relax you are making me as nervous as you and for nothing. Besides you will be stuck to me like glue, there is no way Trevor will dare to insult you in front of me." She sat back and reopened her book and continued to read.

I signed and nodded and continued to look outside.

We were near the estate and my heart could not stop beating wildly feeling nauseated.

The carriage came to a soft halt, as I turned to look at Madeline who smiled at me encouragingly as she made her way out the carriage. I smiled thankfully at Riley who assisted me down the carriage as Madeline walked ahead and I followed suit.

It felt strange as maids looked and murmuered amongst themselves as some brave enough to point my way.

I tried to ignore but the more I passed by them the more I heard what they said.

"She's the masters mistress- "

"I heard she begged him for the job back-"

"She's ugly no idea why the master would what 'er-"

I ignored them because I knew I was nothing they accused me of, so I held my head up and followed Madeline upstairs to her room, or at least what I thought was her room.

She opened the room to one of a green room. I was puzzled at what we were here for when I was sure her room looked different.

"This shall be your new room, do you like it?" She turned smiling back at me with hope in her eyes.

"What? New room? But I can not, am well enough sharing the room I was with Beth-"

"Oh please Ella, enough just say you love the room? Beside last I remember you are my companion and you are allowed to have a room up here, it part of the contract." She giggled "also Beth and I decorated this room to your liking. She said green was your favorite color. Do you like it?"

I looked around the room, it was beautiful, green reminded me of the outside.  I loved the outdoor riding on rain till night time when I was a child reminded me of green when I would lay on the grass and look up at the star when it was dark outside and father would come and fetch me only to have father yell at me and then hug me telling me if he'd lost me he would loss his mind.