f i f t y - e i g h t

Start from the beginning

Jonathan forced down a few spoonfuls, gathering his resolution as he did so.

He had to find a way to escape. He would, most likely, die. However, as long as he managed to keep Sawyer from killing Antony, or to at least warn Antony of Sawyer's intentions, his purpose would be accomplished.

He realized, the thought suddenly dawning on him, that it had been a long time since he felt the emotions of regret, or cared, really cared, for anyone. Although the feelings were uncomfortable, and he didn't always know how to deal with them, he was glad they were returning.

The hours passed, and he slammed a fist against the bars in the window of his cell, his temper running high.

Resign yourself, Jonathan, he thought. There is no way to escape. There is no way out.

Suddenly, he sat up straighter, straining to hear. This time, it was most certainly not his imagination. The voices and shouts of fighting men were moving closer and closer to camp. He stayed at the window, waiting for the fight to come within his line of sight.

At that moment, the sounds of a small scuffle broke out near the entryway to the prison. Soon, two rebel soldiers entered, leading a royal soldier between them. A few moments, later, two more entered, leading another.

"Scouts, sent ahead to check out our camp," explained one of the rebel soldiers, tersely, to the prison guard. "We were under orders to take them. Keep them locked up."

The rebels left.

Jonathan briefly began to wonder if they would somehow be able to assist one another in an escape. He shook his head. He had betrayed these men when he betrayed Astoria. They would not help him.

He remained in the dark corner of his cell as the outer doors to the prison opened. He sat up a bit straighter at the sound of voices.

Children? he thought, confused. The voices belonged to children! He remained quiet, holding his breath, straining to catch their words as they spoke to the guard.

"Father, you must let the scouts out now. Don't wait another minute. I think the general is looking for them."

"I will let them out momentarily, Mariah," he said. "Now you must go quietly, and say nothing of this. Sawyer must not know that we are on the king's side. Go, and I will wait a bit to let the scouts go, until you have had time to make yourself scarce.

"Yes, Father," said Mariah.

"Mariah," said the guard. "Have you found a safe place for Josiah and your mother?"

"They are in that cave I found on the opposite side of the island. The fight is far from it and, even if it should reach that far, the cave is hidden."

"Very well," said the girl's father. "Now go."

True to his word, the guard entered the cell area a few minutes later. He released the scouts and the three men, two scouts and the guard, exited the prison together.

A few moments passed and the guard returned.

"Guard!" called Jonathan, clearing his throat as he stood and crossed to the cell door, grasping the bars in his fisted grip.

The guard soon arrived, frowning. "What is it?" he asked.

"Please!" hissed Jonathan, leaning closer. "You have to let me out! I have to get out to the battlefield! My brother must be warned!"

The guard considered him for a few moments. "You seem to not be entirely on the side of Sawyer's cause but, at the same time, you seem to have distanced yourself from the cause of the king."