9: Just You and Me

Start from the beginning

From behind, I hear the faint sound of footsteps against the hardwood floor. a few seconds later, Niall pushes trough the door, dressed in jeans and a blue button up, a red hat in hand. He smiles at me.

"Oh, good you're up," He says as he takes the seat next to me, reaching forward to get his own bowl. 

"Been up since nine," I tell him sadly, piling another scoop of cereal into my mouth.

"Wow, and what time did you fall asleep last night?" He asks me.

"Around five or so," I say, thinking hard as I grab my cup of coffee and take a sip. "I can't remember."

"What'd you guys end up doing?" Niall asks curiously.

"Well, you would know if you didn't crash at two in the morning," I say jokingly.

"Hey! At least I made if past Zayn," He defends, pouring milk into his bowl.

This is, of course, true. The moment we finished our final round of Hide-and-Seek, we found Zayn fast asleep on the couch. We don't even k ow if he was awake for the last round. We didn't even find him until Eleanor turned all the lights on. Poor guy, passed out probably before Paige got to twenty. 

"Anyways, I'm just wondering if we're still on for today," Niall continues, closing the milk. 

"You mean, for the shopping?" I recall, remember our talk from the other day. 

"Yeah," He says, nodding his head. 

"Is Trinity coming?" I ask trying hard to hide my annoyance.

Niall looks up at me, a bit confused. "No, why would she?"

"I just thought you might've invite her along," I say. Since you seem to have a record with inviting her along, I add to myself.

"Oh, no," He says shaking his head. "She probably can't come, anyways. So, it's just you and me."

You and me. I can't help but smile when he says that. It's sounds a lot more personal than he meant it to be.

"I guess so," I say, turning my head slightly so I can smile down at my Coco Puffs.

"So, what's this?" Niall asks suddenly.

I look up and see that he's picked up my journal. Holding it by the spine. My eyes widen and I quickly grab it from him. "Oh, it's nothing."

"Nothing?" He repeats, raising a blonde brow. "It looks like it's been thrown in the washer."

"I've had it for a long time," I say as I run my hands over the tattered up leather. 

"It looks like a diary."

"It's not a diary!" I say defensively. "It's a journal."

Niall leans towards me and for a moment my breath catches. What's he doing? And just as quickly as it happens, he pulls away, snatching my journal in the process. 

"Hey!" I cry, reaching forward.

Rapidly turning his back towards me, he flips through the pages, it only takes him a couple of seconds to get what he's looking for. Willingly, he hands me back my journal, smiling. I grab it back, pursing my lips together as I tuck it safely under my arm. 

"That's definitely a diary," Niall says matter-o-factly. "It looks like you've written in it everyday."

"Well, it's not a diary. The cover even says Maddy's Journal," I say, grabbing my journal and running my finger across the gold lettering. "Journal! See? Not diary!"