Twenty-Seven

Dedicated to TatumMiller04

When Ruby said to wake her up when things were back to being simple and she got the hang of what she was doing, she didn't actually mean it.

Zu and Hina came in all flustered and were getting down to business, completely ignoring Ruby, Luce, and Luke who were sitting on the bottom bunk. The three were too surprised to say or even do anything to process what was going on. It wasn't until Zu got a bag and started putting things inside they realized what was going on.

"I'm getting Liam," Luke said as he slowly got up, kind of watching what was going on still.

"Please do," Luce told him.

And he did. Luke got Liam while the other two girls were putting together what was going on and were even talking to Hina about it. When Liam came in with Luke, he was soon informed about what was going on.

"Okay, okay, slow down," Liam said.

Zu was darting around the cabin, collecting her things, as Hina's mouth ran a mile a minute. Every time she opened her mouth, Luce, Ruby, and Liam reverted back to the same state of shock. Luke was there, and he was still shocked, but he wasn't as shocked as the others anymore. Knowing best, he decided to leave them to handle it in private.

Zu is...leaving.

Leaving.

Luce caught her on her way to the drawers, steering her to the futon and forced her to sit down. She most likely didn't pick up on their shock because her face was bright and glowing.

"Us and three others," Hina said, breathlessly. "Two Blues and a Yellow. Kylie finally got permission to leave the camp."

Liam twisted around to look at Zu when he said, "And go...for a hike?"

Zu made an Are you serious? look.

"Help us out here," Ruby told Zu. "Tell us what you want to say."

Hina was finally silent, and for a moment, one crazy second, it was thought Zu was actually going to open her mouth and say something. Liam's entire body tensed as if he was expecting the same thing and Luce froze, afraid if she moved it would disrupt the opportunity. But Zu only slipped her notebook back out of her pink duffle bag and wrote: I want to go with them to California.

"I thought Clancy turned down Kylie's request to leave?" Ruby asked Hina.

"He did, but she said she finally wore him down."

"What's in California?" Liam asked, leaning against the bunk bed.

"My parents have a house there," Hina explained, "and they're waiting for us. The West Coast government isn't going to turn us back over to the camps."