underpaid and overworked

Start from the beginning

_______

Auror Training did get easier. Well not easier per se, but Lee got used to the program. The sparring, the investigative work, the trips to observe crime scenes. It all became routine.

It was exhausting. Lee would be worn out from training, arriving to the Burrow at late hours of the night. And when the weekend hit, she went to work, often doubles, instead of taking some time off.

And Percy had noticed. He could see how tired she was. Hell, everyone could. Even Mr. Weasley had mentioned she should take a weekend off to catch up on some sleep.

Lee kept promising herself that she would take some time off, but when the time came to do so, she flaked. Lee needed the money. She didn't want to rely on the Weasley family forever. And she couldn't ask her own parents for support.

She just had to wait out the program for the year, then she could actually get paid to be an Auror. And finally quit her job at the apothecary.

A year seemed so much longer than it did before.

"Er, miss?" An old woman asked, waving her hand timidly.

Lee blinked and drew her attention back to the present, where she was working her second shift of the day at the Apothecary.

"Oh, sorry," Lee put on her customer service smile. "What can I help you with?"

"I was looking for hemlock, but I can't seem to find it," the woman answered, a displeased look gracing her face.

"I'll go see if I can find it," Lee replied. "It might need to be restocked. I'll be right back."

Lee's smile disappeared as soon as she turned away from the woman. She was too tired to put up the happy façade all day.

Lee made her way through the shop, scanning the shelves for hemlock. Nothing in the store had a designated place, it was more of a general area of where it may be.

After a few seconds of searching, she found the ingredient, clearly labeled and in plain sight. Lee rolled her eyes.

She stepped out of the isle so that the woman could see her.

"How many bottles did you need?"

"Just the one," the lady still didn't look happy. Some people were just rotten no matter what.

She grabbed the bottle, as the bell to the shop rang.

Why were so many people coming to an Apothecary around suppertime? Did they not eat?

"Here you go, ma'am," Lee set the bottle on the counter, returning to her place behind the register. "Will this be all for you today?"

"No," the woman huffed, taking the hemlock. "I have other ingredients I need."

She walked away, leaving Lee to stew in her own frustrations. Old ladies suck.

"Excuse me, but I was wondering if you could help me find something," a new voice asked.

Lee turned to find a smirking red head.

"How can I be of service?" Lee smiled, resting her chin on her hand.

"I'm looking for a woman, she works here, incredibly smart and beautiful, you couldn't miss her," Percy said. "I need to steal her away from her horrible job."

"I dunno if there's anyone that would meet that description," Lee stood straight again. "Much less be able to get off."

"I've already talked to Orville, he says they'll be fine without you," Percy said.