Chapter One

Cloudyfur gazed down at her two newborns. "The one with grey spots," she thought, "will be Mistykit. The other, with the blue spots, is Moonkit." A tall, brown tom stepped into the room. "Aww, those are so cute! What will their names be?". Cloudyfur chuckled a little and proceeded to tell him the names of the kits. "This is Moonkit, and here is Mistykit." He dipped his head down to shift over Mistykit with his nose. He rose his head back up. "Bramblepelt, you seem troubled. May I ask why?". Bramblepelt stared.

         "These two seem so great," he said. "And I will never see them again." Cloudyfur looked at him in disbelief. She thought about her kits, about Bramblepelt, about Oakheart, about Honeythroat, about Swiftpaw, about Sunpaw and Mothpaw. She was at a loss for words, while trying to hold back tears. Most new mothers cry tears of joy, but it seemed as though Cloudyfur was actually upset.

         Bramblepelt had tears in his eyes, and he raced out of the medicine den. Cloudyfur tried to process what just happened. Their lives would never be the same again- and she knew it.

         Cinderfur entered the medicine den and looked at Cloudyfur. "Are you in need of any assistance? I know it must be quite hard for you, since you are a new mother and don't know the father of your kits... but, I'm sure it'll be alright." A small apprentice sitting in the corner lf the den, Berrypaw, looked confused on how oddly specific that statement was. He was wondering if Cinderfur had something up her sleeve.