"What?" Rogue demanded.

"Nothing, I just didn't think I'd ever see the day when you found it hard to assert your opinions."

Though she felt like she should be mad as such a judgement, Rogue knew that what's Jean said had more than a ring of truth to it.

"Yeah, I guess my ball busting days are over," she said with a smile.

"Not completely over, I hope, maybe just toned down?"

"Yeah," Rogue grinned.

They fell into silence once more. As they walked, Rogue could feel that Jean had something to say but was nervous; you didn't have to be a telepath to figure that one out."

"Sometimes I miss it," Jean finally confessed, sitting at the cliff edge to look into the sea below. Rogue sat beside her.

"Miss what?"

"The Phoenix." Jean hung her head. "I don't know how to explain it and I didn't notice it until after it was gone, but now I feel so... empty. Sometimes I don't even care what it did, it had always been a part of me and I want it back."

"Just like flying's a blessing and a burden to me. You know, no matter what they did to me, they did teach me to recall other peoples gifts and without that, I couldn't have helped you. I think that sometimes good things can come from bad experiences, don't you?."

Jean smiled slightly and Rogue continued.

"Recognising the good in bad things doesn't make you a bad person. Nothing is all good or all evil."

"That sounds like something I might have said once. Maybe I used to believe that but now? It's just so hard to stay positive sometimes."

Rogue nodded. "You know, Remy once told me that when he feels down, he makes a list of ten things in his head that he was grateful for. It was something he was told when he lived on the streets, and he said it really helped."

"A homeless boy had things to be grateful for?" Jean sounded sceptical.

"He said that as long as he stole enough to eat, could dress himself and and found shelter for the night, then there were people a lot worse off than him. Plus, he wasn't dying from some horrible disease, or stressed about bills, and if he didn't have anyone to love him, then he would never be pained by their loss. He said it was hard to feel angry or frustrated if you're feeling grateful."

Jean was silent for a while before replying. "I'm beginning to think that your Remy has more depth to his character than any of us imagined."

"He hides it well," Rogue said with a wry grin.

Jean smiled in reply and silently began composing her gratitude list. If a street kid could be grateful, then as mixed up as she felt, surely she could find ten things too.

They walked in companionable silence for a while longer, then Rogue checked her watch.

"We'd better head in and get ready."

"You go." Jean smiled. "I think I'd just like a few more moments to see if I can get my list up to twenty."

"What number are you at now?"

"17, and for the moment, stuck there."

Rogue gave her a quick hug, then headed inside the mansion.

"Seriously, Rogue, you cannot make me wear this? My reputation will be ruined!"

"Why not?" Rogue asked as she checked her reflection in the mirror. Her dress was gorgeous, if she did say so herself. A deep purple shade, it had a fitted bodice, held in place with spaghetti straps and a full, flared skirt that came to her knees in front but dipped down to mid calf at the back. There was nothing at all obscene about the outfit, though it still felt weird to show so much skin in public. She was glad that the outfit had some matching satin gloves since although she didn't need them, they were a comfort to her.