Chapter Ninteen

"Nicci."  Minho's voice was quiet from behind me.  "Nicci."

I sucked in a guttered breath.  I stood, rising from the ground.  I turned to face the Gladers, my hands stained red.  Mitch's lifeless body lay behind me.

"I hope now you've learned your lesson, Agent 13."  Ava Paige stood with her hands clasped in front of her.  "Take them back to the medical wing."  She turned away.

No.  

This was not finished. This was not how it would end.  

They would pay.

As soon as the guards nearest to me approached, I sprung.  I jumped, sliding the chain under my feet so now my hands were in front of my body.  I wrapped the chain around the first guard's neck while the second pulled out a stun gun.  I shielded myself behind his body and felt him go limp as he absorbed the shots.

I threw him off, charging for the second guard and knocking the gun from his hands.  I delivered a savage blow to his face and another to the pressure point by his neck as he fell limp.  More guards were coming and I lunged for the gun, grabbing it in both hands.  "Run!"  I screamed at the Gladers.  

And run they did, taking off and sprinting for the doors.  I followed, shooting any guards who charged after us.  

"Get her!"  Ava Paige screamed as we disappeared through the doors. 

"Keep running!"  I yelled as we sprinted through the narrow halls.  I pushed my way to the front, knocking out any WCKD agents who sprang into out path. 

The was one other way out of this hellhole that I knew of.  An underground tunnel by the basement of one of the labs.  That was were I directed the Gladers.  That was where they could get out.  Where I could get them out.

It had always been Mitch and I's escape plan, our very last resort, because I had never wanted to leave Minho.  

A guard rounded the corner, raising his gun.  The Gladers behind me faltered but I slammed into the guard, arm pinning his throat.  His head struck the wall behind him, cracking with sickening force.  He slumped to the ground.  I kept running, the sounds of feet pounding behind me. 

Twists and turns, halls and passageways.  Lights flickered overhead, shouts echoed off the bare walls.  Finally I spotted the staircase.  I heaved myself around the corner and began the long descent into darkness.  

Three, four, five flights down we went.  Winding around and around.  No one spoke, breath came in rushed pants.  My foot struck the cement floor and I paused.  A door was hidden away under the last flight of stairs, long forgotten.  "There," I pointed to it facing Minho.  "That's the way out."

He turned to me.  "We knew each other, didn't we?  Before." 

I nodded slowly.  Newt was organizing the Gladers, getting ready to go through the door.  A shout echoed from above.  "They went down here!" 

"You have to go.  They're coming."  

Minho grabbed my arm.  "You're coming with us."

I jerked my arm free and shook my head.  "There's no life for me out there." 

"Yes there is," He argued.  "You have a chance to be free, Nicci." 

I swallowed.  Freedom with Minho but not Mitch.  I could only have half.   And Minho didn't even remember me.  Feet pounded on the stairwell.  Guards. 

Newt pushed the door open and the Gladers began moving through.  

"Please, Nicci," Minho begged.  "Please.  If you stay they will kill you."

"I'm already dead," I told him.  "I have been for a long time.  Maybe... maybe one day you'll remember it all."

His forehead wrinkled in confusion.  Then the first guard appeared at the edge of the stairs.